does english look and sound germanic?

Kirk   Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:16 pm GMT
Hopeful makes a good point in that when some people think of a Germanic language to compare English to, it's usually Dutch and/or German, when really Germanic languages also include the Northern Germanic (Scandinavian) languages as well as a virtual smattering of smaller, regional Germanic languages.

Since by definition English is a Germanic language, I think it looks and sounds like one. It may not sound like other Germanic languages (and that's subjective by the way, as is calling German "harsh" or "ugly" which I don't personally feel is true) but then again by that token, Icelandic and Swedish don't sound very much like Hochdeutsch (Standard High German), either.
Guest   Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:18 pm GMT
Adam=<<German is the ugliest Germanic language just as French is the ugliest Romance language>>

"Them how can 2 ugly language produce English?"

LOL

best remark I've read on antimoon...

Then how can 2 ugly languages produce English ?

That proves Adam's nonsense, stupidity, ignorance and almost satanic point of view !
ann   Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:08 pm GMT
I think that's is false. English is very beautiful to me, and german i think is the ugliest language in the world.German It makes me hurt my ears.

And I prefer romance language, they're more beautiful than germanic lan.
especially spanish an italian.
Q   Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:46 pm GMT
>> I think that's is false. English is very beautiful to me, and german i think is the ugliest language in the world.German It makes me hurt my ears.
<<

Interesting. A couple of mistakes in your sentences:
I think that's is false. = I think that is is false. (should be "I think that's false.")

English is very beautiful to me (should be "English sounds very beautiful to me.")

and german i think is the ugliest language in the world. (should be "I think German is the ugliest language in the world.")

German It makes me hurt my ears. (should be "German hurts my ears." "German makes me hurts my ears" implies that German makes you want to hurt (e.g. cut) your ears.