German or Spanish? (I'm Chinese)

Chinese   Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:16 pm GMT
both Spanish and German are completely useless in Chine
Xie   Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:19 pm GMT
>>Xie, you are completely pro-German, radically biased and radically against French and Spanish. <<

My answer would have been the same if I were learning French/Spanish, knew a bit of Spanish/French, and no German. It's your limited intelligence that makes you unable to understand me.

If this reply still bothers you because you are ____, then... OK, you win, let me say instead that: Chinese is the easiest from my perspective, easier than English (10+ years of experiences), German (2+), French (1+), etc.

on9.

>>謝生,我姓龍,好開心喺度識得你。其實我唔識講粵語,咁我哋傾偈時講國語好唔好? <<

沒關係, 我沒所謂. 以前這裡也不時有中國人留言
Loong   Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:30 pm GMT
apart from english, it's obvious that japanese is the most useful in china, but i ever said japanese and french had already been a part of my Language planning. of course, either german or spanish (no matter whether useful or not) would probably be another part of my schedule in the near future.
Guest   Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:32 pm GMT
That is completely different.

You are Chinese. So, Mandarin Chinese is easier for you than other European languages. But wait a second, English is your second language. So, you have also an "English/American point of view".

In all the American/English webpages, American and English people say that Spanish and French are easier than German, even when German is in the Germanic family. It is very difficult for us the cases, the 3 gender system, the plural, etc

So, your point of view should be similar to the Americans and English people. But not, of course. The cases are helpful, 3 genders are better and more helpful than 2, irregular plural system is the easiest way to make a plural and not adding an -s, etc

Perhaps, it's your limited intelligence that makes you unable to understand me.

If this reply still bothers you, perhaps you are a RADICAL PRO-GERMAN.
Loong   Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:51 pm GMT
謝生,冇必要同佢爭論落去。照我睇,彷似雞同鴨講,不如飲多啲茶。
/*-   Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:26 pm GMT
谢先生,loong是对的,不用和那些人争论.每个人都有自己的想法.
--   Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:23 pm GMT
A more original name Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:38 am GMT:

<<In Spanish the plural is in -s, like in English and French. In German is more difficult.>>

Yes, German is more difficult in that respect, but is -s the only plural marker used in English? I don't think so!

<<Another important problem (very important if you don't have a good memory) is the gender problem. . . . On the other hand, Spanish and French are always the same. If in French is femenine a word, it is also femenine in Spanish. The grammatical genders (3) is very, very difficult if you have not good memory.>>

If there's gender in a language, you need to learn it, regardless if there're two or three (or more) genders. In German, you can always see the gender on the article, but in French? l'oiseau? What gender? Learning a foreign language also if for training of your memory.

<<Finally, German has 4 cases: nominative, genitive, accusative and dative. It is very, very difficult. It is like in Latin and other languages.>>

There're lot's of languages with even more cases, like Finnish or Hungarian.

<<In English, Spanish and French there are not cases.>>

They mark case by the position of the words in a sentence. English pronouns show case, too.

<<In short, if you compare the 4 languages, German is the most archaic and less evoluted of them.>>

Complete nonsense.
Xie   Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:33 pm GMT
想不到你寫粵語比很多香港人還要準確呢...

但我的確認為德語和法語是各有千秋, 各有難度吧.
schizo   Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:14 pm GMT
<<In short, if you compare the 4 languages, German is the most archaic and less evoluted of them.>>

I agree, and me too.
--   Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:20 pm GMT
Less evoluted? Obviously!
A more original name   Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:03 pm GMT
<<English, Spanish and French mark case by the position of the words in a sentence. English pronouns show case, too>>

That is not the same. These languages haven't cases. When a language has cases and other languages not, it shows an evolution in the language.

From Latin (with cases) to French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese (without cases) it is an obvious step ahead, an important evolution.

At the same time, in France, Italy or Spain, for example, there were several languages and only the strongest, the easiest and most perfect of them won (not always of course).

Another example is the Alphabet. The modern alphabet was invented by the Greeks (with vowels and consonants). Romans made even a most perfect alphabet.

So, the languages without alphabet have not an evolution in their writing system. That's obvious.
schizo   Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:54 pm GMT
<<Romans made even a most perfect alphabet.>>

perfect - more perfect - most perfect :-)
--   Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:39 pm GMT
<<So, the languages without alphabet have not an evolution in their writing system. That's obvious.>>

Wrong! There are languages with no alphabet, but a writing system in which there can be evolution going on.