Greatest Linguist

K. T. (not KT)   Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:42 am GMT
I read an interview in German with Gregg Cox.

"Mit der ganzen Welt kommunizieren
Das Sprachgenie Gregg Cox
Von Anke Wiebersiek"
If you want to google it. It's very, very interesting.

Here's an address (I didn't see any restrictions to posting it.)
http://www.multilanguage.org/index.html

According to one German source, he speaks 64 languages fluently and
"40 weitere sehr gut"..."

If I understand the German in the interview, he said that he found Russian very difficult because of the length of the words. He found Chinese writing extremely difficult because of the writing, but thought that speaking Chinese was relatively easy. He gave the example of Ni hao ma (a greeting in Mandarin) compared to something in Russian (not given in the text).

It was interesting to read how he thinks about languages. I don't think about length of words that much unless they get to be over seven or eight syllables, but I guess HE does. Does he favour economy in sound?

I know some of you are interested in polyglots, so please enjoy...

Personally, I have never met anyone who admits to speaking more than eight languages. I don't believe in the rule of Seven, but I'm not sure what the upper limit of language learning is.
PARISIEN   Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 am GMT
Ne pas confondre : 'linguiste' et 'polyglotte'
inostranets   Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:02 am GMT
Interesting. I found Russian words relatively easy to remember precisely because they are long. They are long and distinct among themselves, which makes them stick in my head right away and prevents me mixing them up.
K. T. (not KT)   Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:57 pm GMT
"Ne pas confondre : 'linguiste' et 'polyglotte' " PARISIEN

I think he qualifies as a polyglot and linguist. Whether he is the greatest polyglot AND linguist, I couldn't say. I post the information, it's up to antimooners to discuss. In English, "linguist" has more than one meaning (which I'm sure you already know). Steve K., who perhaps used to post here, has a site called "The Linguist" where he talks about, and promotes his way of learning languages. It is perfectly okay for him to call himself a linguist (meaning someone who speaks multiple languages), but I think "polyglot" is a better word. I think of a linguist in the stricter sense of someone (like Mr. Cox) who has studied linguistics. People don't like how "polyglot" sounds in English, so they just say "linguist" most of the time whether or not the person has ever studied linguistics.

Then, of course, there are the linguists who cannot speak any foreign languages at all.

Does "linguiste" have a narrow or a broad sense in French? In French, I think I would use "linguiste" as someone who has studied linguistics.

FYI:

Amazon (the book selling site) showed at least twelve book titles by Mr. Cox. At least one of them, would probably be of interest to people who go on medical missions where Spanish is spoken. It comes with cassettes.
PARISIEN   Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:36 pm GMT
<< Does "linguiste" have a narrow or a broad sense in French? In French, I think I would use "linguiste" as someone who has studied linguistics. >>

-- Exactly. The meanings are strictly restrictive in French and cannot mix in any way.
Saussure and Chomsky was/is "linguistes", and would still be major linguists even if they hadn't been/weren't fluent in any other language than their native ones.
K. T.   Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:34 pm GMT
Hmmm, you've raised an interesting point, PARISIEN. Citizens of the US and probably anglophones in Canada would accept "Greatest Linguist" as a title because it would seem to indicate that he knows the greatest number of languages, but if translated into French or Spanish, "Greatest Polyglot" would be better. I've wondered about this in regard to Mr. K. I should listen to the introductions he makes in other languages again and see if he calls himself a linguist if he uses the word for polyglot.

It's interesting that the Oxford Learner's dictionary gives Mr. K.'s meaning (someone who speaks many languages) first.

As for Mr. Cox, I read that he actually only uses ten on a regular basis, but I couldn't verify that. Of course, that filled me with curiosity. What ten languages is he using?

I don't mind long words either. I never thought about it much, but it's the little words that bother me more. When I started out in French, I started noticing words like "y" and "en". "Y" I got, but "en" confused me. At least learning that helped me with Italian "ne", lol. Then in Spanish there are all the "se" "le" "lo" "la" "les" "los" and "las" words-so small, but so important. It's nice to see a big word in Russian, and there is a little sense of accomplishment in saying some of the bigger words fluently...
Caspian   Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:37 am GMT
Mais si on est un polyglotte, c'est à dire qu'on parle plus de 60 langues, on est un linguiste aussi.
ya wey   Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:16 am GMT
64 languages fluently...

hahaha I've heard that one before... A certain Ziad Fazah who got pwned on a TV show... although at least this guy seems to have some professional linguistic credentials... but still... it's hard not to be sceptical
Xie   Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:40 pm GMT
>>If I understand the German in the interview, he said that he found Russian very difficult because of the length of the words. He found Chinese writing extremely difficult because of the writing, but thought that speaking Chinese was relatively easy.<<

Even I find speaking Chinese easy, because almost everything (if really) is invariable, and although we don't drop pronouns a lot, this is also quite usual.
greg   Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:28 pm GMT
PARISIEN : « Ne pas confondre : 'linguiste' et 'polyglotte' ».

Absolument ! Quelques linguistes — plus ou moins "célèbres" : Humboldt, Bopp, Brugmann, Saussure, Meillet, Vendryes, Guillaume, Hjelmslev, Whitney, Jakobson, Jespersen, Benveniste, Bühler, Bréal, Troubetzkoï, Martinet, Harris, Bloomfield, Baudoin de Courtenay, Sapir, Chomsky, Tesnière, Labov, Culioli, Halliday, Greimas, Bally, Sechehaye, Ducrot, Rastier, Wilmet, Adamczewski...

Caspian : « Mais si on est un polyglotte, c'est à dire qu'on parle plus de 60 langues, on est un linguiste aussi. »

Tout le monde est un peu linguiste, même les monolingues invétérés. Nous sommes tous des épilinguistes qui s'ignorent — un peu comme M. Jourdain, qui faisait de la prose sans le savoir. À plus forte raison, quand on est hyperpolyglotte, on est nécessairement amené à développer une réflexion linguistique et/ou une pensée sur le langage — avec ou sans diplôme, avec ou sans bagage.
K. T. (barbarian)   Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:47 pm GMT
"épilinguistes"

greg, could you explain what this word means to you? I don't know this word in English and I can't find it in my French, English, and Greek dictionaries. I only found one hit for it on Google.
greg   Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:57 am GMT
Quand tu ouvres un dictionnaire pour y chercher un mot — comme <épilinguiste> par exemple —, tu veux trouver non seulement la suite de douze caractères <é> <p> <i> <l> <i> <n> <g> <u> <i> <s> <t> <e>, mais surtout les définitions et explications qui s'y rattachent. Dans ces conditions, l'entrée <épilinguiste> du dictionnaire n'est plus un mot extrait d'un discours (un signifiant qui renvoie à un signifié) mais une vedette autonyme (un signifiant qui renvoie à lui-même : la définition qui suit l'autonyme fait fonction de signifié).

Exemple :

greg : « Nous sommes tous des épilinguistes qui s'ignorent [...] »
→ <épilinguistes> fait référence à ce qu'il signifie pour caractériser <nous (...) tous>
→ emploi sémanticoréférentiel (signifié).

KT : « "épilinguistes" »
→ <épilinguistes> fait référence à lui-même, c'est-à-dire à la suite graphique <é> <p> <i> <l> <i> <n> <g> <u> <i> <s> <t> <e> <s>, ainsi que l'indiquent les guillemets "..." que tu as utilisés
→ emploi autoréférentiel (signifiant)

Par conséquent une suite graphique unique, ici <épilinguistes>, est passible de deux emplois distincts.
On peut transposer ce phénomène à l'oral en remplaçant <épilinguistes> par sa contrepartie orale : [e·pi·lɛ̃·ɡɥist].

greg : [nu·sɔm·tus·de·ze·pi·lɛ̃·ɡɥist·ki·si·ɲɔʁ] (en français)
KT : [wɒt·duː·juː·miːn· baɪ̯·e·pɪ·lɪŋ·ɡwɪsts] ? (en anglais)

Dans l'énoncé français, [de·ze·pi·lɛ̃·ɡɥist] se rapporte à autre chose que ces 5 syllabes. Dans l'énoncé anglais, [e·pɪ·lɪŋ·ɡwɪsts] a trait aux 4 syllabes prononcées : il est autonyme.

Dans la vie réelle, quand un locuteur A demande à B : « Comment tu écris le mot "géographie" ? », le dernier mot de la question, [ʒe·o·ɡʁa·fi], est un autonyme — et la question elle-même, dans sa globalité (et non plus seulement dans l'autonymie du dernier mot), relève de ce qu'on peut désigner par "activité métalinguistique". De même, et sur un plan plus général, les linguistes construisent une métalangue et produisent des discours métalinguistiques.

Exemples :

« Los fonemas son unidades teóricas básicas postuladas para estudiar el nivel fónico-fonológico de una lengua humana. »
→ discours métalinguistique
→ lexique métalinguistique
→ métalangue

« ¿ Cómo se escribe la palabra "geografía" ? »
→ discours métalinguistique
→ lexique neutre avec emploi autonyme de [xe·o·ɣra·fi·a]
→ absence de métalangue

Quand l'activité métalinguistique est inconsciente, on peut la qualifier d'activité "épilinguistique". C'est du moins une des acceptions de ce mot. La différence principale entre le métalinguistique et l'épilinguistique, c'est que le premier génère un discours et l'autre non : "discours épilinguistique" est un oxymore. L'épilinguistique n'est que mental et inconscient : il est cette activité sur le langage qui habite silencieusement le locuteur (enfant en phase d'acquisition langagière, apprenant d'une langue étrangère).

Note que l'endophasie, ou discours intérieur conscient sans manifestation tangible (écrit, oral, signes etc), est par définition hors du champ de l'épilinguistique, quel que soit son objet. Autrement dit, l'endophasie n'est au mieux que métalinguistique → quand la voix intérieure prend pour objet la langue en général, ou le discours (le sien propre ou celui d'autrui).
K. T.   Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:47 pm GMT
"Quand l'activité métalinguistique est inconsciente, on peut la qualifier d'activité "". C'est du moins une des acceptions de ce mot. La différence principale entre le métalinguistique et l'épilinguistique, c'est que le premier génère un discours et l'autre non : "discours épilinguistique" est un oxymore. L'épilinguistique n'est que mental et inconscient : il est cette activité sur le langage qui habite silencieusement le locuteur (enfant en phase d'acquisition langagière, apprenant d'une langue étrangère)."

After I posted my question, I decided to look for words that might be found with epilinguistic as an nearly exact cognate. I looked up "epilinguistic" and "multilingual" and found some examples in English.

I think this part of what you wrote is closest to the kind of thing I found in English by linguists or students in linguistics. Thank-you. You keep me humble, I must say.
Kyril   Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:37 pm GMT
I heard a radio talk with Gregg Cox in Serbian and the question was about the many books and the time. After this talk, I was looking for books from Gregg Cox through Amazon also. But I wanted to find the 400 that is wriiten about in the linguist page. To my surprise I found much more. Look at US libary of congress web site under Gregg Cox.
Leslie   Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:20 pm GMT
prof. Labov