Help neede in translating

scrat_ali   Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:47 pm GMT
I can't understand this comic:
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ga/2009/ga090917.gif
Would you please help me?
Thanks in advance
Shaun   Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:55 pm GMT
A lap dog is a dog that easily fits on one's lap (like a tiny puppy).

A lap is the part of your body that, when sitting, you can set things on - kind of your upper-thigh and groin areas.

Garfield is saying "That's a lap I'd like to see" meaning the dog, who is supposedly a lap dog, is very large and you can't see his lap because of this. It's kind of a play on words, but not really. I've never found Garfield to be funny so unless there's something I'm missing, I think that's it.

Of course I could be completely wrong.
splotch   Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:19 pm GMT
I agree with you, I have never found Garfield to be either very funny or very easy to understand.

I think that you are right in your interpretation of this cartoon. A lap, is another way of saying a stomach, and the stomach of the dog is very large.

So, this 'lap dog', is a large dog with a large stomach, 'lap'; rather than a small dog that can sit on someone else's lap.

I suppose that Garfield could sit on the lap of the dog with a large lap.
Casual Sex   Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:40 pm GMT
Lap # n. The front area from the waist to the knees of a seated person
Lapdog # n. A small dog which is or can be fondled in the lap

Garfield is simply saying that such a big lapdog requires an even bigger lap to sit in.
The person with such a big lap would be an amusing scene to watch.

So you see, it's not a very clever joke.
scrat_ali   Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:27 pm GMT
Thank you all, just another question: ... needs good home, means he wants a hug, correct?
C.S.   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:20 pm GMT
needs good home means he wants to have a master, a home...
an owner to sit in his lap (the dog wants to sit in a lap of an owner)...
No lo creo   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:59 pm GMT
No, it means the dog needs a new place to live. He's become so big-he's no longer a true lap dog.
scrat_ali   Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:48 pm GMT
aha, really thanks
Another Guest   Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:24 am GMT
"Lap" refers to one's upper legs, not stomach, and only when someone is sitting. The term "lap dog" can be used figuratively to refer to someone who holds a subservient position (for instance, Blair was often called Bush's lap dog). This meaning does not seem to be intended here.
a demotivator   Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:28 pm GMT
You need help "in translating", but you don't understand what translating is. To translate, you need to know at least two languages: the one you translate from and the one you translate into. Now you are not telling us into what language we should translate the comic. So how are we supposed to help you?

If you don't know what language you should use, ask your mother, as she sure knows where your mother's tong has been. Now we are writing to you in English, which is quite futile, since you appear to have very limited comprehension skills in English.

If you like comics, take a look at this site: http://www.whatjamiefound.com/2007/06/14/bunny-suicide-comics/ I believe, you'll understand those comics, since they contain only pictures and no text.
scrat_ali   Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:47 pm GMT
What a rude person are you.
You can't understand a word from my language, so what's the use of mentioning it?
If you read carefully all the posts here, you understand that some other people couldn't understand the real meaning of the comic. Here by reading other peoples explanation of the comic I finally managed to get it, so what's your problem here?
Me   Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:48 pm GMT
"You can't understand a word from my language, so what's the use of mentioning it? "

What makes you so sure?
scrat_ali   Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:09 pm GMT
@ Me:
What language(s) can you understand?