I love Norway and decided to learn Norwegian :)

Freelander   Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:23 am GMT
K. T.,

a demotivator   Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:18 am GMT
"I am 37 and didn't speak any German until I was 32, I'm now rather good at it, and I've never actually lived in the country (although I do have a German partner)."

In reality that means something like the following: You said "ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch" and the Germans told you (in English, of course!) that you speak German very well. So you were smiling the rest of the day.
fraz   Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 pm GMT
<<In reality that means something like the following: You said "ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch" and the Germans told you (in English, of course!) that you speak German very well. So you were smiling the rest of the day>>

Completely wrong. Most of my in-laws don't speak any English so if they say something to me, they do so in German. Rather than smiling at my ability to say "Ich spreche ein bisschen deutsch" I've worked bloody hard at my German over the last 5 years and am now quite confident at conversing with natives (in German, of course!)
holomorphic   Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:04 am GMT
a demotivator,

Nice to read your posts. Have you ever considered visiting the How To Learn Any Language forum? There are sooooo many people there who need a good, hard, brutal demotivating. Too bad it's a registration forum, they'd probably ban you because they wouldn't be able to handle the truth...
Xie   Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:55 am GMT
>>- Even if he goes to Norway, who's going to speak to him in Norwegian...
- Soon after beginning he will suffer the "not cool any more syndrome", that is, once you learn the language of a country that used to be a source of magical fascination for you, you come slowly to lose your interest in that country[…]<<

It’s exactly the case with German for me. But German did offer me an easier life. Once I got lost in a large city without any train for the next few hours at midnight with 2 monolingual American acquaintances. I used German to tell the almost monolingual Germans there that there wouldn’t be any more trains. They realized that, and several of us joined together to take a taxi back home.

I’m more demotivated by a few facts. One, to study in Germany requires even higher command of German, which I can’t manage within a few years, and that costs a few years and the opportunity to feed myself. Two, even as a large country of higher education, Germany is largely only for the Germans or, say, Chinese Germans who were born and raised there. Three, Germany is far more risky than the average Anglophone countries as a place for studying for many reasons. There should be many factors that can outweigh such concerns, or else I should put German for reading only.

>> I would like to learn another language, but I really can't find any motivations other than "for the sake of it". It's hard to admit that once you've learned English, you have everything you need, but that's the truth.<<

Even run-of-the-mill German learners consider it unsuitable to think too much of a German adventure. Most demotivational factors are economic.
john   Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:02 pm GMT
Tupy or not tupy   Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:09 pm GMT
I love Nynorsk.
Mr Motivator   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:03 pm GMT
Demotivator, f**k yo' couch b*t*h. People can learn whatever they want, if it makes them happy, who cares? And as for not learning Norwegian not making you a better person, l-o-l, anybody who takes time to learn a new language will find life more rewarding culturally.

Muchos love from

Mr Motivator
demotivator's motivator   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:26 pm GMT
it's not: f**k yo' couch b*t*h
it's: fuck you couch bitch..

how can we take you seriously when you can't even learn to write english...bitch
TickledPink   Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:51 pm GMT
*sigh* He didn't ask for your criticism, he asked for your help. Let him live his dream if he chooses and if he doesn't make it, that's his business. Honestly, people can be so petty sometimes. Leave him be if you have nothing helpful to contribute.
Kelly   Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:30 pm GMT
I like Nynorsk,
it's so sexy
RJ Masters   Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:12 pm GMT
The very easiest way to begin learning Norwegian is to start with Norwegian words similar to English [if English is your first or second language]. There are many more Norwegian words similar to English than you are probably aware of. This will give you a great head start. You will begin to learn Norwegian pronunciation by hearing which parts of these words are similar to English, and which parts are different, and truly Norwegian.
opinion   Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:04 pm GMT
<<The very easiest way to begin learning Norwegian is to start with Norwegian words similar to English [if English is your first or second language]. >>
Vinter-winter, sommer-summer,hare-hare,give-giv, hjert-heart,mann-man,land-land and so on.
bla-bla   Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:31 pm GMT
Norwegian is the easiest Germanic language!
Harald Hårfagre   Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:37 pm GMT
Norwegian is a beautiful language, and Norway is a wonderful country. Being an American in Norway was always a pleasure.

I lived and worked there for several years, and I still think about Norway and my Norwegian friends every single day. Most Norwegians are able to communicate in English, but they are always pleasantly surprised to discover that a foreigner took the time to learn at least some of their language.

Norwegian language, culture and history is rich, fascinating and beautiful. And by the way, Norway feels a lot like small-town America. For the most part, it's a safe, stable and modern country with the same freedom, democracy and values that we value.

My first lesson was cool. I had to learn the Norwegian alphabet: Æ, Ø, Å!