Ask for the meaning of one sentence

JayKor   Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:29 am GMT
I got this sentence "sb is made up of just pure champion stuff" when I watched the movie of "Transformers", and I am not really getting the correct meaning of it. So could you everyone help me?
blanc   Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:06 pm GMT
'champion' is an expression people in Yorkshire use a lot.

I forget the technical term, but basically it means 'good'

'pure' also means good.

'stuff' is what things are made of.

So, it is a complement!

sb is made of: 'good things'.

What are little girls made of?
"Sugar and spice and all things nice
That's what little girls are made of!"

What are little boys made of?
Snips and snails, and puppy dogs tails
That's what little boys are made of !"
saxophone   Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:20 pm GMT
"sb is made up of just pure champion stuff"

A champion is a winner. "The pie eating champion managed to eat 12 pies."

Stuff is a generic word, almost like a pronoun. It means whatever you want it to mean. "That stuff is useless." "What stuff did you bring?" "Can you help me with this stuff?"

Pure means that it is the only thing in it, like pure gold, or pure water. Most jewelry is not pure gold, it has other metals in it too. Sea water isn't pure water, because it has salt.

So this phrase is saying that sb is made of the same stuff that champions are, and nothing else.

Hope that helps!
Achab   Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:59 pm GMT
If you say that somebody is made up of just pure champion stuff, what you mean is, very simply, that such person is, well, a champion. A great one, indeed. A natural born champion, very likely.

By the way, a champion is, strictly speaking, someone that's supposed to have won a prize competing in some contest, like a chess tournament or a sports car race. I guess that in the example JayKor came up with, 'champion' may refer, more broadly, to a very intelligent or effective person.

With every good wish,

Achab
Another Guest   Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:13 am GMT
Really strictly speaking, a champion is someone who represents someone else or a group in a competition, regardless of whether they win. For instance, someone on the US Olympic Team is a champion, since they represent the US. Of course, since people who win a lot tend to be in great demand to be champions, the meaning of the word shifted to refer specifically to the winner.
Orange   Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:22 am GMT
you glad I didn't say banana?