How do you pronounce "AGAIN"?

User   Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:31 pm GMT
>> I have no recent pictures on the Internet, and I do not see how that would say anything about whether I am a native speaker or not in the first place. <<

Yeah, are you trying to say that Americans look different than other nationalities??
Travis   Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:25 am GMT
>>Yeah, are you trying to say that Americans look different than other nationalities??<<

I was saying the complete opposite, that you can definitely find immigrants here that do not look any different from what one might associate with Americans (that is, I presume, white Europeans, from what you imply). I myself at least know of a good few Russian immigrants and known/have known some people originally from Germany who look no different from what you likely think Americans like.
Guest   Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:15 am GMT
That's no excuse. We can distinguish Americans from the rest. That's our job and leave it to us, Travis. Post your half decade old picture.
Lazar   Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:13 am GMT
<<I was saying the complete opposite...>>

I think you misunderstood. ;-) User's question was directed to Guest, not you. (The "yeah" part was agreeing with you.) But I can see how User's post lends itself to being misunderstood; he should have been clearer.

Guest: Stop being a troll. Travis has explained the phonetic minutiae of his Wisconsin accent on this forum; there's no way in hell that he's a non-native speaker.
Guest   Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:30 am GMT
Lazar, how are you so sure about that he is a native speaker when everyone included User's friend had judged him as a non-native speaker. I will stop being a troll unless or until I see his real photo. What is harm in it?
Lazar   Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:52 am GMT
<<Lazar, how are you so sure about that he is a native speaker when everyone included User's friend had judged him as a non-native speaker.>>

Who elected User's friend the Supreme Speech Arbiter? I am sure that Travis is a native speaker because for the past couple of years I have seen him describe his speech in minute detail and discuss the intricacies of North American dialects, and because in the recording he demonstrates several of the distinctive Wisconsin dialect features that he has described. Or maybe it's just the fact that once someone has made several thousand posts on this forum over the course of several years, I tend to lend them a little more credence when they say whether they're a native speaker or not.

<<I will stop being a troll unless or until I see his real photo.>>

How the hell would his photo tell you what country he's from? Last time I checked, there were tens of millions of French, Russian, German, and Polish people who would look completely unremarkable in the United States.

<<What is harm in it?>>

The harm is that you're being an ass.
Guest   Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:15 am GMT
Ok. Fair enough, Lazar. In my humble opinion, his accent sucks. He needs a linguist doctor (or what you call a speech therapist) for fixing his acccent inadequacies.
Travis   Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:23 am GMT
>>Ok. Fair enough, Lazar. In my humble opinion, his accent sucks. He needs a linguist doctor (or what you call a speech therapist) for fixing his acccent inadequacies.<<

Change my accent? Good fucking luck.
User   Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:58 pm GMT
@Guest
Ok, let's test your American picking skills. In this picture, there is one person who is not an American and not a native speaker of English, although he/she speaks English very well. Please choose which person it is: tell me the row that he/she is standing in: row #1 is at the bottom, and how far they are from the person on the left hand side.
User   Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:59 pm GMT
Guest   Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:03 pm GMT
There is no American. No one is looking obese. Are you sure? ...Just kidding!

User, you are so serious about it. I was having a little fun. I knew myself that I could not judge whether one was born in USA or not solely on the basis of judging their faces. Asians or people from other countries were born and rasied in USA and hence acquired a native accent. Anyways, for answering your question, I am going to have a wild guess.

A woman who is standing next to a bald man on his left side at the bottom row in blue jeans. Or a guy who has a french beard, wearing black shirt standing at the last row or adjacent from a bald man.

I had had a little fun till it lasted. Travis, no hard feelings. I was just trying to provoke you as I was being an ass, as Lazar put it bluntly.