Somerset English.

Adam   Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:07 pm GMT
Don't Tell I, Tell 'ee

Roger Evans

Whirr be gwain to? Tiz getting dimpsey, zo cummin yer an wet thee's whistle. Yer, which o they jars is owern? Thicky ones yourn, inner? Dang I if there ain't a gurt big wapse innun.

These scraps of Somerset dialect could be a foreign tongue, but they are the language of my youth, dialect which survives in the school playground, in the bars of village pubs and the homes of farming communities.

Most of us, as we mature, lose our dialect. It is our way of dealing with a shrinking world.

We hold telephone conversations with people hundreds of miles away and watch countless hours of 'well-spoken' television. Our dialect fades.

But I have never lost that love of well-spoken dialect and have the same passion for its discovery as I do for any foreign language.

And that is dialect. It is not English spoken with a funny accent, legitimised by adding lots of "ooh-aars" and eventually with some reference to Zummerzet Zyder.

It contains its own vocabulary with words such as dimpsey - the Somerset expression for that half-light which comes at the end of the day - and dumbledore for Bumble Bee.

I once watched an episode of the BBC television programme Call my Bluff, where unusual words are given three definitions by the members of one team whilst the members of the other try to guess which is correct.

I couldn't believe it when no one guessed the answer for dimpsey. I had grown up with the word in my vocabulary and had never realised it was so localised.

Anglo-Saxon remnants

In the Somerset dialect, we can find the remnants of Anglo-Saxon. The pronunciation is an ancient one where S is often, but not always, sounded as a Z; F sounds as a V and vowel sounds gain an R. It's the sounds and words of the court of King Alfred.

I remember when I took my O level French oral examination. The examiner remarked that never before had he heard French spoken with such a strong Somerset accent. I wasn't sure if that was a complement or a criticism.

In later years I was fascinated to discover that, whilst working in both France and Canada, with French-speaking Canadians, my 'Somerset' French was better received in Canada.

It perhaps reflected how so many West Country folk emigrated to North America in the centuries during which the dialect of the New World was evolving.

I commend the reader to experience the pleasures of well-spoken Somerset dialect, especially by visiting some remote country inns, frequented by locals - just sit back and listen, the later it is in the evening, the stronger the dialect.

Local variations

Somerset is a large county and the dialect varies considerably. Saxon invaders came to England in clans, each clan with its own dialect and the dialects heard today across the county mark the areas in which those clans settled.

In Somerset, the Britons were driven westward but the River Parrett, which had formed a natural barrier between Celtic tribes, proved a barrier to the advance of the Saxons.

Hence in eastern and central Somerset the dialect is practically Anglo-Saxon. To the west of the Parrett, especially around the Brendon Hills and Exmoor, the dialect is spoken with a Celtic accent and closely resembles that of Devon.

Many Celtic words survive such as bastick (basket), woh (a command for a horse to stop), fagot (bundle of wood) and mattock (a cutting tool).

And so we can understand how dialect in Somerset can vary as we travel the county.

Apart from the East-West divide formed by the River Parrett, the area to the north of the Mendip Hills also has its own dialect. One notable example of this is in the way that words are sounded when they end in a vowel.

The Bristolian 'L'

A good idea in Bristol and its surrounding area become a good ideal in that aerial. In the rest of Somerset, they become idee-yer and airier.

Hence L's or R's are added to the ends of words according to geographic location.

Generally speaking, in Somerset dialect, it is the R sound which is the noticeable clue to the county.

Hence my wife's name, Lorna, is pronounced locally as Lorner, to which she is accustomed. But she cannot tolerate hearing her name collecting the North Somerset 'L'.

When introduced to a Bristolian, she introduces herself simply as 'Lorn', dropping the trailing 'a'. It can also be unfortunate for ladies by the names of Eva and Ida who become evil and idle!

I have often observed how the Somerset dialect is disappearing. The older dialect can still be heard amongst the senior members of the remoter communities, but the newer Somerset dialect is much softer than that of earlier generations.

This mix of old and new can cause confusion. Whilst talking to some locals in a North Somerset pub, I picked up on a particularly strong dialect from a lady in the bar.

"Whirr be she vrom?" I asked my friend. "Alasker," came the reply.

I knew there was no way this lady was from North America and was surprised at my friend's response. She was broad Somerset.

"She ain't niver vrom Alasker" I replied. "No," said my friend, "I 'ant ast 'er yet."

I then realised his "Alaska" was "I'll ask her". He turned to the lady and enquired: "Yer, skews I, but ifee doan mine I askin, which part of county be thee vrom?" She replied: "Banes."

He looked at me quizzically and replied: "She do talk bloody good Zummerzet vur a vorraner."

To this day he remains totally unaware of the new county administrative boundaries where BANES is Bath and North East Somerset.

Evolution

Dialect continually evolves. In Somerset, the remnants of the language of King Alfred form just one part of our heritage. It is rich in vocabulary and pleasant to the ear.

English is the expressive language of poets because of that variety. Somerset dialect adds to that richness, not just with pronunciation, but with words not found further afield.

If we lose that dialect, our language will lack the richness it once had. It is important, therefore, to record and preserve this evolving part of our cultural heritage. Use it or lose it.

Treat it like an endangered species or while you're not watching, the words will disappear forever.

The above article is an extract from a soon-to-be-published book by Roger Evans. You can pit your wits against Roger's quiz by following the link at the top of the page.

news.bbc.co.uk
Linda (Canada)   Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:08 am GMT
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading this article. My ancestors originated in Somerset and I've often heard about the dialect so it was fun to get a glimpse.

Thanks
Jason   Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:51 am GMT
Adam, that was a well-written and informative article. It seems that the Somerset dilaect is somewhat similar to the dialect used by some of the more rustic characters in Thomas Hardy's novels.

Just out of morbid curiosity, does anyone in Somerset use Received Standard English? How is RP viewed in Somerset (assuming there even is an opinion on it). Do you still use the dialect? You mentioned that it is the language of your youth. Do you still live in Somerset or have you joined the vast flocks migrating to London?

I've read a lot about the South-west of England in "The Rough Guide to England" (Rough Guide is based in the UK). It's a region I've always wanted to explore. (the entire region from London to Land's End)

You probably know who I am from another post. I would just like to take this opportunity to say the the English are among the nicest, friendliest, kindest, most personable, and most polite people I have encountered (aside from a few bad apples - but that's the case anywhere). I have found this to be true on my visits to London and through my interactions with English tourists elsewhere in Europe. (... or maybe I've just been meeting all of the right people?)
Kirk   Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:31 am GMT
<<You mentioned that it is the language of your youth.>>

Adam doesn't write articles. He does copy and paste like there's no tomorrow, however.
Mxsmanic   Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:12 am GMT
Simulations of dialect pronunciations need to be in the IPA.
Uriel   Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:29 am GMT
Not everyone knows IPA, Mxsmanic. Or cares to learn it.
Travis   Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:37 am GMT
>>Simulations of dialect pronunciations need to be in the IPA.<<

X-SAMPA will also do, considering that not everyone has fonts containing IPA characters or have font renderers for their web browsers which handle such properly (I've seen ones that put diacritics in the wrong places, for instance). Considering that it is functionally near-equivalent to IPA (I say near-equivalent as it does have some things in it which are not officially part of IPA), I cannot see how anyone would have any objections to it, besides on purely aesthetic grounds, if they would normally use IPA.

>>Not everyone knows IPA, Mxsmanic. Or cares to learn it.<<

The thing is that trying to simply approximate the pronunciation of something using ad-hoc methods like ones based on traditional English spelling, like "pro-NUN-see-AY-shun" for "pronunciation", are simply not accurate enough to be useful for anything even resembling linguistics purposes. Consequently, the use of things like IPA and X-SAMPA is necessary for actual transcriptions which are of any real use at all in the first place. And nothing is stopping one from learning IPA or X-SAMPA (or both), and if one cannot be bothered to find where to learn such on one's own, here are URLs for information on such:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA
Kirk   Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:01 am GMT
<<Simulations of dialect pronunciations need to be in the IPA.>>

While I personally would be fine with everything in IPA here I know not everyone can see or read it so X-SAMPA is a good compromise for sites like this one since it accomplishes the same thing, just with normal ASCII.

Anyway, I would hardly expect an article from the BBC to include IPA (nor would I expect Adam to know it so he could faithfully describe the sounds to us).

<<Not everyone knows IPA, Mxsmanic. Or cares to learn it.>>

Yes, but the assumptions based on faux-netic spellings like "thicky ones yourn, inner?" are different according to dialect so they essentially mean nothing in particular to people who aren't either immediately familiar with the pronunciation in question or familiar with the fauxnetic "system" in place. True, no one's forced to learn IPA (or its ASCII equivalent, X-SAMPA), but without it what that stuff is trying to get across is really vague.
Uriel   Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:09 am GMT
Not all of us are deeply into formal linguistics, though. I much prefer to read "thicky ones yourn, inner?" to Xsampa's hieroglyphics (and whatever Msxmanic's been writing in lately doesn't even show up on my computer, except as a series of boxes) because I can read it without any advanced training. So I can understand why Kirk, Felix, Travis, et al. have their preferences, but try to see where we ordinary types are coming from as well.
Travis   Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:09 am GMT
>>Not all of us are deeply into formal linguistics, though. I much prefer to read "thicky ones yourn, inner?" to Xsampa's hieroglyphics (and whatever Msxmanic's been writing in lately doesn't even show up on my computer, except as a series of boxes) because I can read it without any advanced training. So I can understand why Kirk, Felix, Travis, et al. have their preferences, but try to see where we ordinary types are coming from as well.<<

The main thing is that there are a lot of pronunciation details that are practically impossible to convey with such, to the point that trying to even use an approximation of such a sort is for such is not really worth the effort. For example, in my dialect, there are a lot of pronunciation details which are effectively impossible to convey with fauxnetic methods. For example, in isolation, how would one effectively convey the difference between <back> and <bag> for my dialect, as the difference is effectively a matter of vowel length and consonant length (or lenis/fortis values, depending on interpretation), which are practically impossible to indicate with English-language fauxnetic methods.
Damian   Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:32 am GMT
We went through Somerset on the way down to Cornwall last year....really beautiful county and never seen so many thatched cottages and lovely wee villages, away from the M5 motorway. I was disappointed not to hear the famous Zummerzet burr when we stopped off at Glastonbury which we wanted to see because of the pop Festival they have there each year. I wanted to hear people say "Oooohh Aaarrrr...we be Zummerzet we be and we loves ourrr zoiderrrr!" Instead everybody seemed to be posh and RP in the way they spoke... even in the shops...not the Somerset rhotic West Country accent at all! It must be all the old people who still sound like that but we didn't even see many old people kocking about! Maybe they were all supping their cider ...sorry...zoiderrrr....in the nice wee pubs they have down thurrrrrr.

They say the scrumpy zoiderrrr down Zummerzet way is 100% proof.
Guest   Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:30 pm GMT
<<Not everyone knows IPA, Mxsmanic. Or cares to learn it.>>

..........or even drink it for that matter!

http://www.greenekingipa.co.uk/the_beer.htm
Adam   Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:02 pm GMT
I hope the West Country accent isn't dying out. England needs to keep its accents, even the ones that sound Olde Worlde.

It is the traditional seafaring capital of England (most of England's most famous seafarers, such as Sir Francis Drake, Sir Walter Raleigh and John Hawkins, who is the founder of the modern Royal Navy) came from there. Fishermen from Bristol supposedly reached the North America even before Columbus did. And that is why pirates in the movies tend to have West Country accents. We don't want them all to start speaking with a plain, boring, posh accent.
Jason   Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:05 pm GMT
<<And that is why pirates in the movies tend to have West Country accents. We don't want them all to start speaking with a plain, boring, posh accent.>>

I agree with you 100% that pirates in pirate movies should not be using RP because it is an accent which does not correspond with their personality and character - NOT because it's plain and boring. I think, Adam, that you are being a little bit too judgemental and subjective here. Some people claim that GAE sounds plain and boring because it has become so ubiquitous (there are so many GAE speakers out there both in the movies and in real life). However, I think that even that is being subjective. Given that so few people actually speak RP, I would tend to consider it rather unique and interesting. I am not just saying this because I'm an RP speaker myself. I really do think it sounds very colourful and "baroque" and not plain and boring at all. Also, RP does not always sound "posh". It really depends on the individual speaker. There IS a very posh sounding U-RP used by certain speakers like Jeremy Irons or Penelope Keith in "To the manor born" and then there is the normal "unexaggerated" RP used by certain BBC announcers like Katty Kay or Mike Embley.

How would you like it if I said that the Somerset dialect sounds rustic, stupid, and uneducated? I COULD have said that and with some justification too. However, I try not to be presumptuous. How DARE you presume to criticise standard British speech when others, like myself, never criticised the "Whirr be gwain to? Tiz getting dimpsey, zo cummin yer an wet thee's whistle. Yer, which o they jars is owern? Thicky ones yourn, inner? Dang I if there ain't a gurt big wapse innun." gibberish that you posted in your original message!

Oh, and by the way, there IS a word for "dimpsey' in standard English. It's called "twilight". One can also use "dusk".
Ed   Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:06 pm GMT
I live in Bath, Somerset and the Somerset/West country accent is still much spoken. The local dialect tends to be used more in the more rural parts and by the lower classes, while RP or dialects more similar to it tend to be used in the towns and by more upper class people it seems.