Eighty Percent for Comprehension

Xie   Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:19 am GMT
Before anything else...

愛德華, 我屌你老母!

>>Ah, so you're from Hong Kong, Xie? Or Guangdong Province?

Your English is faultless, I had assumed that you were a Chinese-American.<<

Actually you asked me the same some time before... yeah, in fact both are correct, but I've never been to the US.
XieXie   Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:33 am GMT
Actually, 80% comprehension is... shit! Native speakers should be able to understand lot of varieties, and if they can only understand 80% of what someone says, then that person doesn't know English. I'd say 100% is necessary.
Being able to understand 80% of what a native speaker says is one thing, and requires some skills... but a non native speaker should be able to make themselves understood 100%, or they don't know English.
Robin Michael   Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:50 pm GMT
"Recently I heard someone say that he was happy if a native speaker understood eighty percent of what he said."

I am using an extremely old computer and screen. So it is interesting to see how antimoon appears.

Just as using an old computer can be tiresome and annoying, so listening to someone from another country be tiresome and annoying.

You have to listen carefully, and be careful not to misunderstand. When you reply you also have to be careful.

It is not easy, and it requires a lot of concentration.

To a certain extent you are analysing the mistakes the other person is making and trying to find ways of working round them.

When I get back home from my holiday it will be a pleasure to use my computer. Just using this computer for a few minutes is giving me a headache.
Uriel   Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:36 pm GMT
I still rape children.
steve   Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:38 am GMT
<<When I get back home from my holiday it will be a pleasure to use my computer. Just using this computer for a few minutes is giving me a headache. >>>

No, no, no! Please tell me it's not true. Please tell me you're not "just on a holiday" and hence will be coming back? Oh no, it is so nice without you. I thought you'd left for good and was so happy.