English and Spanish in Philippines

Hispanic   Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:07 pm GMT
<<Who cares about the Philippines anyway? It's an insignificant garbage hole. I feel ashamed to have them in my language sphere rather than proud.>>

I think that for Anglos, Philippines is the last shit. Meanwhile, for Hispanics, they are brothers. In short, that is the big difference.

For example, in the next Ibero American Summit, in Portugal, Philippines go as another brother, with the same friendship that we can have with Peru or Colombia. They are joined to this organization this year, the same as Equatorial Guinea.

So, in this organization there are 25 countries, over 700 million people in 5 continents and a GDP over 6.300.000 million dollars (not considering Hispanics in USA, another 1.000.000 million dollars and some 60 million people).
ANGLO   Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:28 pm GMT
<<I think that for Anglos, Philippines is the last shit. Meanwhile, for Hispanics, they are brothers. In short, that is the big difference. >>

Well, I guess lower countries tend to stick together... The Anglos have higher standards...
Guest   Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:07 pm GMT
Or the Germanic people are more racists...
racist   Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:38 pm GMT
Could Philippines join Mercosur?.
Guest   Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:19 am GMT
Yes. It can be an associated country, but Philippines should make Spanish as third official language of the country.

They are now aware of their past (a lot of legal documents are only in Spanish) and the importance of Spanish nowadays (It will be official language in USA in the near future). So, there are several steps to make compulsory again at school from 2009 (in Brazil was in 2005).

It would be interesting for them. Philippines are now members of the Latin Union and the Ibero American Summits. Tomorrow they can be members of Mercosur or Unasur as associated members.

Even in APEC is a very interesting language. There English is official, but Spanish and Chinese are promoted languages, very important in the Pacific area.
pepe   Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:05 pm GMT
Why would the Philippines join Mercosur or Unasur when they're not even anywhere near that region of the world and have no special governmental or commercial ties to any country in that region?
Guest   Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
Philippines and Mercosur belong to the same Asia-Pacific area. There are two big economic zones: Atlantic zone (Eastern USA- Europe) and Asia-Pacific (Western USA- Hispanic America-South Asia).
tarikur   Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:27 pm GMT
LOL, this is one big misconception held by many people that Philippines people somewhat speak Spanish or study Spanish. This is further from the truth if you ask anyone from Philippine or visited Philippine. Spanish is almost non-exist as Spanish in China, Japan India and other countries. No, the elite doesn't speak Spanish.

To the idiot that Tagalog is a Spanish creole: dude Tagalog belong to Malay language group.

Why should Spanish be promoted, because Spanish people killed and raped the native Philippine people and took over the their land?

Spanish language like all other former colonizer language should NOT be promoted instead the language should be hatred.

Philippine should have one official language which is Tagalog.
A more original name   Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:12 pm GMT
First. Spanish, including Chavacano, is spoken by some 3 million people. So, it is more spoken than in other Asian countries.

Second. It is true that Spain colonized Philippines, but if Philippines would be colonized by other country (France, UK, Portugal, etc) the difference would had been very similar.

Third. Tagalog is not a Spanish creole, but there are in this language some 8000 words of Spanish roots.

Fourth, Spanish should be promoted, if Philippine people want to know their past. All the documents of the last 300 years are in Spanish.

Besides, Spanish is now the second most important World language. That's the reason to be promoted there. If people there study both languages can have a good job working in call centers or other kind of companies.

That can be the difference with other countries that only speak English, like Singapore, Hong-Kong, India, Pakistan, etc.

If they study English and Spanish, Philippines can be a bridge between Latin America, North America and Asia, making Philippines an interesting country to set up companies from USA, Spain, Mexico, Latin America and Asia.
Franco   Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:21 pm GMT
Tagalog is a lesser language. Spanish is much better.
pendejo   Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:34 pm GMT
<<
Fourth, Spanish should be promoted, if Philippine people want to know their past. All the documents of the last 300 years are in Spanish. >>

Why should it be? Should Arabic be promoted in Spain just because the Arabs occupied Spain for a few centuries?
Guest   Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:39 pm GMT
That's different. Almost 90% of all the documents in Philippines are in Spanish, some of them with important legal effects.
Gloria Arroyo   Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:51 pm GMT
Spanish language and not Tagalog was the language of filipino nationalists like Rizal. First Constitution of Philippines was writen in Spanish , not in Tagalog. And Chavacano, spoken by millions of people, is a Spanish creole much closer to Spanish than to the Malay group of languages. For example:

Si José Protasio Rizal (Nacimiento: 19 de Junio, 1861 na Calamba, Laguna Muerte: 30 de Diciembre, 1896) es el heroe nacional de las Filipinas. Es un doctor de medicina y de ojos tambien, si Rizal ya estudia medicina na Madrid, Paris y despues, na Berlin. Si Rizal na su tiempo, ta puede conversa 24 clase de maga lenguaje. Na España, si Rizal ya estudia na Universidad Central de Madrid donde ya obtene ele su Licencia na Medicina. Ya continua ele su educacion na Universidad de Paris y Universidad de Heidelberg donde ya obtene le su segundo titulo na Medicina.

Na Madrid, ele ya queda un miembro activo del La Solidaridad, un grupo de maga Filipino intelectual activo na promocion del soceidad Filipino alla na España y el promocion del maga proposicion de Filipino.

Su maga novela considerando importante na progreso del identidad Filipino y nationalismo. Si Rizal famoso con su novela, es el "Noli Me Tangere", un satiro contra con el gobierno colonial de España. Como activo na campaña de reforma, si Rizal ya sale mal acusado na caso de sedicion. El gobierno Español ya castiga con Rizal na manera de muerte en 31 de Diciembre, año 1898.
tarikur   Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 am GMT
You guys are pathetic.

Who cares if some old document or something was written in Spanish, which hold no modern value. Why don't the Spanish people learn Arabic since some of the important documents from 700 to 1300 was written in Arabic?

Any way Spanish is the language the colonizer. Why should the native reward the colonizers, who killed their fathers and raped their mothers to get control over the land, by learning Spanish?

The reasons why some Philippines people have feeling for Spanish is because Spanish people brainwashed/blinded them with Catholic religion and Surname names.

I say to Philippines people to drop the Catholic religion and their names and adopt the names and religions of their forefathers. The forefathers are looking at modern Philippine people with shame. I say to drop the English and make Tagalog the only official language of Philippines but I do not suggest not promoting English or not learning English because learning English will bring economic benefit to Philippines and advancement in science and technology in Philippines.
A more original name   Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:27 am GMT
<<The reasons why some Philippines people have feeling for Spanish is because Spanish people brainwashed/blinded them with Catholic religion and Surname names.>>

Yes, of course. Spain gave to them "a soul", a religion, and the best religion, of course.

The American religions are Scienciology, Mormons and strange things like that. You are lucky of the Catholic religion.

Spain gave them also a name and surname. So, if Philippine people want they have also a "Latin" soul, and Latin roots. They were colonized by Europeans, but at the same time, they are Asian Hispanics.

It depends on them, if they want 450 million of brothers or not, with a lot of companies from Mexico, Spain, Argentina, Venezuela, Florida or California that can set up in Philippines or not.

<<I say to drop the English and make Tagalog the only official language of Philippines>>

I would like that all people in Philippines study or speak Tagalog or Filipino. The easiest international language for a Filipino speaker is Spanish. They can study Spanish in only one year, with 8,000 words of Spanish origin.

<<I do not suggest not promoting English or not learning English because learning English will bring economic benefit to Philippines and advancement in science and technology in Philippines.>>

Yes, of course. But the benefits of being the bridge between North America, Latin America and Asia are bigger, studying English and Spanish.

If in California, Texas, Belize, Gibraltar or Florida people are becoming bilingual (English and Spanish), why not the Philippines?