Bre and AmE way of saying the date

steve   Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:01 am GMT
<<
I find Google and antimoon addictive. There was an article in the Sunday Times which said that Google was good for activating the brain. Reaching parts that Heineken couldn't and improving the blood supply / neural connections etc. >>

I read an article that said I was going to meet a hot chick because I was born in a certain month. Well, I didn't meet her.
In other words, don't believe bullshit you read on the internet (and that includes Robin Michael's posts, too).
Robin Michael   Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:07 pm GMT
To Steve:

<<In other words, don't believe bullshit you read on the internet (and that includes Robin Michael's posts, too).>>

In the past I have been criticised for including citations - usually the Wikipedia page that I have got my information from. Generally I try to back up what I say, or comment, by reference to a wikipedia article or youtube video.

One of my criticisms of Damian is that he just writes articles without any references. That is fine for a journalist, but not an academic. (I thought his article on place-names ending in 'wich' was particularly good. But where does he get his information?)

At the moment I am using an old computer so I am not even doing a spell check.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 pm GMT
***I thought his article on place-names ending in 'wich' was particularly good. But where does he get his information?)***

Well, I've just done a spiel on lovely Kent......the first stepping stone on English soil for all cross Channel travellers from the Continent landing at Dover or Folkestone or Ramsgate. How would you like me to write an article on the many place-names in that fair county ending with "-hurst" and just what is the origin of that suffix? Picturesque wee Goudhurst I've covered, so how about Staplehurst? Lamberhurst? Chislehurst? Winkhurst? Chainhurst?

I got a great deal of information from here - between the years 2000 and 2003...about the best three years of my life so far for all sorts of reasons. Hard, hard work and 100% application but at the same time one fantastic fun place for all kinds of social interaction, not only on campus but in the city of Leeds itself and it's immediate environs.

If you say that my efforts in here are fine for journalism then I an deeply honoured...it's my stock in trade. Straying off topic I certainly do on many an occasion and I wish I had a tenner for every time i've been pulled up about it in this Forum, but my main consideration is to utilise my native Language in written form mostly for the benefit of those non-native English speaking Antimooners who visit the Forum for the purpose of improving their skills in the language. That is why it is very important for us to write clear, concise and above all correct written English in here.

If I wrote the way I speak English on a daily casual basis here at home in Scotland (my own informal Scottish type English) it really would confuse them no end, therefore defeating the objective, but if someone is truly interested in, and wishes to know more about, local colloquial Scots I'd be more than happy to assist.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/
Robin Michael   Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:13 am GMT
Hi Damian

To be honest, I am not particularly interested in names that end in 'hurst'. I was brought up in Cheshire, so names ending in 'wich' have a particular interest.

One of the problems for me, is that 'people learning English' do not seem to be asking the right sort of questions. Another way of saying this; is that 'people learning english' are not asking these sorts of questions.

I started a Topic on A/F (American Flat - Spanners). If you were an motor mechanic you would know what I am talking about. This Topic seems to be sinking with out a trace, and yet this is very much part of the Imperial system of measurement which is to a certain extent obsolete.

Have they switched over to Metric in the States?

Is the end of the world approaching?

The other thing is that 'native speakers of English' seem to delight in being very negative and sneering, without making any positive contributions. So we are criticised by these 'Smart Alecs' for putting things in a simple way, which presumably would be of interest and assistance to people learning English.

On a more general note, I recognise that my English is not 100%. I am prepared to change my habits. However 'hate mail' is not helpful. Also, to repeat myself; something that is obvious and mundane to a native speaker of English, might not be to someone learning English.

English speaking people are continually 'learning English'. This evening I had a furious argument with my father over what a 'minicab' was. It was ridiculous really. I am so certain I am right, I will not even look it up.

Smart alec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A "smart alec" or "smart aleck" is a person regarded as obnoxiously self-assertive and impudent. The term "smart arse" is more commonly used in the United ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_alec - Cached - Similar
H   Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:42 pm GMT
<One of the problems for me, is that 'people learning English' do not seem to be asking the right sort of questions.>
Robin,
You may dislike those questions or think them stupid, but they (me among them) know their problems better.
The 29th of October   Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:07 am GMT
The American style of saying dates is catchin on here fast. I am hearing with increasing frequency the date being told as "October 29th".

Traditionally the dates have always been spoken two ways here - "The 29th of October" or "October the 29th".

For the Americans that say that they have never heard Americans say "October twenty nine" I have to ask - "really"??

I hear Americans use this style often. One person that springs to mind is a sports commentator on your channel HBO (I watch a lot of boxing). Also, when I hear adverts on the telly or at the pictures for American films I frequently here it pronounced like this. It isn't as common as "October 29th" but it seems common enough.

For the record, "October the 29th" is the original British way of writting dates, I believe that the better sounding (in my opinion) "29th of October" is a European import. Am I wrong in thinking this??

Look at any gravestone from a 100 years or more and the day almost always comes after the month. So why some Britons knock the yanks for their fom of date style is beyond me??