What do Slavic Last Names Mean?

russo turisto   Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:07 am GMT
@culo - Russians don't change their surnames, what for?
That's very odd for a woman to have a surname in male gender, nobody would agree for doing this.
I don't know any foreigners who coming to Russia make their names sounding more "Russian-friendly".

Obama--->Obamin or Obamov or Obamsky ?? Though Obamin sounds best of all to me.
K. T.   Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:03 pm GMT
I found the answer to my own question. "ik" is supposedly "little" (duh!) or "son of" in Polish last names if I read correctly. I didn't find the Polish names of people I used to know among the common Polish last names, so maybe "ik" is not as common.
BCMS   Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:15 am GMT
The ending >ić< in BCMS or >ič< in Slovenian means exactly what K. T. wrote above. For instance if K. T. would happen to be my father, villagers would call me and my siblings - (K. T.ić) Kejtić; Kejtići (in plural).

*LOLić (a little LOL)!*
Knows T.   Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:27 pm GMT
K. T. je ženska, but good joke!
K. T.   Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:52 pm GMT
There is a troll on the forum (English side), so this is a good time to learn something about Slovenian.
K. T.   Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:55 pm GMT
I don't mean to imply that the troll is Slovenian, simply that it's useless to write when the troll is playing, so it's better to discuss languages elsewhere until things calm down.
Xie   Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:19 pm GMT
>>In Japanese people often have names related to location. Murayama is Mura plus Yama, village plus mountain.<<

The study of names itself is interesting in general.

-given names
-occupational names
-location names
-nicknames
12345   Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:14 am GMT
«What do Russians do when they move to another country? How do they work the female/male surname changing?

For example, a husband and wife Dmitry Petrov and Anna Petrova???
Does Anna Petrova write her name in official documents as Anna Petrov, or does she still write it as Anna Petrova even though it then differs from the husband's surname? »

Hmm, we have a woman here who's called Viktoria Koblenko. She's Ukrainian. I always thought it was odd she wasn't called Koblenkova as last name.
Cuntko   Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:40 am GMT
In Ukraine, many surnames end with "ko."

Timoschenko, Uschenko, etc.
12345   Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:05 am GMT
«Cuntko Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:40 am GMT
In Ukraine, many surnames end with "ko."

Timoschenko, Uschenko, etc. »

So no genders in Ukraine?
Cuntko   Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:14 am GMT
Of course there are, but not in Ukrainian surnames. There are gendered surnames in Ukraine, but they belong to people of Russian origin.