do all Scottish, Irish and Welsh speak English?

Adam   Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:23 pm GMT
"I take it you're English. Your post indicates an attitude that certainly wouldn't go down too well in Wales, and talking of behaviour, have you seen the way a whole lot of English people behave when abroad, or at home for that matter?"

Are you telling me that the Scots and Welsh somehow, and mysteriously, always manage to go abroad and be polite, friendly and never cause trouble? I think you Scots and Welsh need to get rid of this silly myth about you all being angels and never cause trouble. You should also stop causing the attitudes of Brittish tourists abroad all on the English. When we see British tourists in Ibiza and Greece rioting, wrecking the street furniture and vomiting in gutters there are plenty of Welsh, Scots and Irish there, too. In fact, being Celts, you've all got more chance of drinking too much and getting drunk than the English have.

And talking of attitudes, why is it that the Welsh people who speak Welsh suddenly decide to speak to English people in Welsh the moment they find out they are English and even though all Welsh speakers speak both Welsh AND English? It's quite common for a Welshman to speak to another Welshman in English and then when he starts talking to an English he speaks to him in English for no other reason but to get completely on his tits.
Adam   Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:25 pm GMT
That should say:

"It's quite common for a Welshman to speak to another Welshman in English and then when he starts talking to an Englishman he speaks to him in Welsh for no other reason but to get completely on his tits."
Adam   Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:27 pm GMT
"And that's coming from a Cymrophile Scot exiled in London - England."

Yeah, typical Scotsman. There you go slagging off the English saying how much you hate us, but where do you live? England! What the hell? You slag us off saying that you don't like the English but you stay here. Why don't you leave our great nation and bog off back to Scotland?
Liz   Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:00 pm GMT
Adam,
it's time to get over your personal issues! I'm waiting for the day when you will be able to talk about that topic like a human being. But my dream will never come true. Why do you hate these people so rabidly?

You keep disparagueing Scottish, Irish and Welsh people (and the non-English, of course) for their alleged disruptive behaviour and first and foremost, for their nationalism and their belief in 'the silly myth that they are angels'. No, their are not angels. No one is, not even the English (sorry to disappoint you).

Anyway, it's no use making silly generalisations about a nation because no nation is homogenious. There are rude and gentle people everywhere.
If you make such generalising statements you just prove your low intelligence, whatever high your IQ is...

As far as Damian is concerned, is it a deadly sin if someone tries to tell his opinion to such people like you?
Guest   Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:21 pm GMT
The English are well known to be the drunken illiterate hooligans of the world. Grow up and accept that you and the likes of you are simply lower class and unintelligent who cause trouble wherever they go. The world knows the truth. English fans cause trouble not other Brits who support Scotland or Wales.
Damian in London N2   Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
Liz:

Our wee Boltonian fiend (oops sorry....I mean friend) Adam has been airing his personal issues for so long now I can't remember a time in here when he hasn't been doing just that....it just won't be the same without his rants tbh....lang may they continue....I enjoy them. His misrepresentations are awfie pawky! Don't scare him off, Liz......even with your truisms.....the Forum would be too sane without him.

Adam:
OK let's sort you out a wee bit:

***Yeah, typical Scotsman.....***

Aye....you're right!...spot on, pal. But your idea of typical isnae mine and that's for sure.

***There you go slagging off the English saying how much you hate us****

Nae.....you're wrong! I have never slagged off the English as a race of people......I do NOT hate you as a race of people. I have loads of English mates, the best you can get, and I've had some great times in England...still am in fact while I'm down here. It's a great place to be, basically English people are generally really cool but I reserve the right to legitimately sound off about them when I think it's justified without going over all the same ground again which would be mega boring. The arrogant attitude of SOME English people to the Welsh people (and their dogged adherence to their own Language) is quite naistie though, and it's this attitude which gives rise to some resentful retaliation from the Welsh, made more pronounced when these English people show scant respect for their different culture and Language which many of them mock and deliberately mutilate. This sort of thing happens in Scotland as well so I know what I'm talking about. Scotland and Wales share similar historical associations with the dominant English.

Just because I mention these facts doesn't mean I'm slagging off the English or, more ludicrously, hate them! That's plain stupit!

***.......but where do you live? England!....***

Nae! You're wrong! My home is in Scotland...through my job I'm temporarily exiled down here in London - not that I'm complaining.....I'm making the most of it big time. I go back home in October but anyway, even if I do find myself returning to London more permanently in the near future, if it's to my advantage, Auld Reekie (Edinburgh to you) will always be my home. I'm mega sad to be missing the Festival this year but there you go...I can always nip up there for the weekend when I feel a dose of homesickness coming over me, but so far weekends here are just so (BLEEP) great!
Welirish   Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:39 pm GMT
In Ireland, when I am in public I speak English.And every Irish mate understands me very well.But when I am with my family at home, I speak Irish generally not to forget it.You can courageously speak to a foreigner in English even if he is an Irishman.
Damian in London N2   Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:43 pm GMT
We don't consider the Irish to be "foreigners". Technically they are, in our hearts and minds they're not.
Liz   Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:36 am GMT
disparagueing=disparaging
Welirish   Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:43 am GMT
Thank you Damian in London.So we think.
Liz   Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
<<Our wee Boltonian fiend (oops sorry....I mean friend) Adam has been airing his personal issues for so long now I can't remember a time in here when he hasn't been doing just that....it just won't be the same without his rants tbh....lang may they continue....I enjoy them. His misrepresentations are awfie pawky! Don't scare him off, Liz......even with your truisms.....the Forum would be too sane without him.>>

You're right. There is no point in airing truisms, which are obvious for everyone but him. Sometimes I DO enjoy his comments but this anti-Celtic thing gets on my nerves a bit.
The observer   Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:32 pm GMT
<<Adam,
it's time to get over your personal issues!>>

With all do respect Liz, it is time you do the same!
Liz   Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:06 pm GMT
<<With all do respect Liz, it is time you do the same!>>

I'm about to do so. :-))
Adam   Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:34 pm GMT
"You keep disparagueing Scottish, Irish and Welsh people (and the non-English, of course) for their alleged disruptive behaviour and first and foremost, for their nationalism and their belief in 'the silly myth that they are angels'. No, their are not angels. No one is, not even the English (sorry to disappoint you). "

It wasn't me "disparagueing" the Scottish, Welsh and Irish. I think you will find that it was Guest who was "disparagueing" the English over on page 8.
Adam   Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:39 pm GMT
"The English are well known to be the drunken illiterate hooligans of the world."

Yeah, that's why the English drink much less alcohol, per person, than both the Irish and the Scots. The Irish are the biggest binge drinkers in the world. Every year, the Irish drink over 250 litres of pure alcohol. That's not 250 litres of alcoholic drinks - it's 250 litres of pure alcohol, pure ethanol. So goodness knows how many alcoholic drinks that is.

The Scots are not find behind in their binge drinking, and the English can blame the high drinking rates in Scotland for Britain having the second-highest binge-drinking rates in Europe after Ireland. If England was an independent then we would have a much lower binge-drinking level, but we have a very high one thanks to the Scots.

So I think when it comes to drunkenness and drinking alcohol, the Irish or the Scots can't really whinge about the English, because we drink far elss alcohol than you.