How come is Germany so tiny nowadays?

Guest   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:31 am GMT
If one looks at historical maps Germany used to comprise vast zones that are nowadays in Poland, Russia (Königsberg for example), Baltic countries... The enemies of Germany wanted it to be even smaller and splitted it into Federal Germany and the Democratic Republic. This could be considered a genocide, couldn't it?.
genocide   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:40 am GMT
Britain is pretty tiny nowadays too. It is genocide indeed!
Helmut von Hägelfritz   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:44 am GMT
Because they lost... sadly...
Guest   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:49 am GMT
<<Britain is pretty tiny nowadays too. It is genocide indeed! >>

It's not the same at all. Britain lost it's empire, where other nations lived. But Germany lost national land populated by German speaking people.
Guest   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:52 am GMT
I wonder if something can be done to revert this tragedy. Poland is not as densely populated as Germany. Both countries could unite peacefully so the Germans can settle in zones of Poland and improve the economy.
Guest   Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:48 am GMT
"It's not the same at all. Britain lost it's empire, where other nations lived. But Germany lost national land populated by German speaking people."

Britain lost the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, which are all populated by English-speaking people.
noneuian   Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:54 am GMT
<<Both countries could unite peacefully so the Germans can settle in zones of Poland and improve the economy. >>

If the E.U. evolves gradually into a stronger and stonger centralized pan-European government, perhaps national borders will become insignificant.

Be careful what you wish for :)
Baldewin   Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:11 am GMT
And they would force upon us the English language. Yuk! Or esperanto. Or Folkspraak for Germanic, Interlingua for Romance and Slovia for Slavic mayhap.

Anyway, I do predict linguistic strife in future Europe.
Guest   Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:28 am GMT
Britain lost the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, which are all populated by English-speaking people.

Isn't the Queen of UK head of state in Canada , Australia and NZ even nowadays?.

At least UK people can migrate to USA and still communicate in English, but Eastern Prussia is nowadays Russian and Polish speaking. UK's loss was relative. Germany's one was absolute.
Poughquag bound   Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:30 am GMT
<<And they would force upon us the English language. Yuk! Or esperanto. Or Folkspraak for Germanic, Interlingua for Romance and Slovia for Slavic mayhap.>>

I was under the impression that Germany and France "control" the EU, at least according to complaints I've heard from folks in other EU countries.

I'd almost expect them to get together and concoct some bizzare blend of French and German, and force that on everybody as a politically neutral language.
paraphrygean   Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:39 am GMT
<<At least UK people can migrate to USA and still communicate in English,>>

It's unclear how easy it is to immigrate to the US legally from the UK. If I understand correctly (from reading posts in British Expat Forums), it's a lot easier for UK citizens to move to other EU countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Xie   Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:36 am GMT
>>At least UK people can migrate to USA and still communicate in English, but Eastern Prussia is nowadays Russian and Polish speaking. UK's loss was relative. Germany's one was absolute. <<

You can say that.

Since 1945, the fate of those areas has been sealed. China also had lost a lot of territories permanently before 1945/1949.

For similar reasons raised by our OP, native Americans also lost their homeland (though technically you can't even say territory because they didn't have their own country in the modern sense at all) centuries ago and permanently.

And this is why, after all, language and nationality are rather relative concepts. What defines our country now is different from what did.
Baldewin   Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:48 am GMT
About these lost colonies, like how Britannia lost the thirteen upstanding states: this brings up the perspective what would happen if mankind were to colonize other planets. One can imagine that after time the population of these extraterrestrial colonies would revolt against the Earth.
If mankind cannot even handle being controlled from another continent, what would it give if it were from another planet?
Guest   Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:16 am GMT
That is what happens in Isaac Asimov's novels. Earth has a unified government but the colonies have broken off and are more powerful than Earth.
12345   Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:19 am GMT
<<And they would force upon us the English language. Yuk! Or esperanto. Or Folkspraak for Germanic, Interlingua for Romance and Slovia for Slavic mayhap.>>

There is another one more interesting (and difficult). It is Europaio or Indoeuropean. This language can be used by everybody: Germanic, Slavic and Latin people.

<<I was under the impression that Germany and France "control" the EU, at least according to complaints I've heard from folks in other EU countries.>>

Perhaps, but it is very difficult to force to study French or German or a horrible mixture between them.

Several years ago, France and Germany pacted to promote French in Germany, and German in France. Nowadays that is irrelevant.
German is only third in France and French is also third in Germany. You can't force anyone to study a language.

There is a PC option. They can promote the 6 most spoken languages of the European Union: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Polish. And everbody should study 2 or 3 of them.