What is the biggest threat to English?

Edward Teach   Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:37 am GMT
"My logic"????

How many times must I state that I am not religious to be understood?

Do you think that religious people have the right to alter their holy texts on a whim?
Damian in Dunfermline   Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:59 am GMT
***I don't hate you, Damian. I want you to know that***

I never for one single moment thought that perhaps you did, KT - but even if you did it would be your absolute right to do so for whatever reason. We both live in free countries - more or less - although I sometimes wonder considering the load of PC obsessed dingbats presently running mine from Downing Street and the Palace of Westminster.

I could live with that - as I say I am a hack, a journo - one whose profession insists that I gradually turn into quite an armadillo armed against the most virulent of slings and arrows of outrageous fortune ripostes in the name of insults and barbed comments from all quarters.

It's a professional hazard and to be candid with you - it's quite energising and produces barrel loads of adrenaline.
Edward Teach   Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:33 pm GMT
Hey Damian

K.T hates you. Trust me, I can tell.
Shuimo   Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
I should say PC movement has been a big threat to English as well!
Michael   Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:27 pm GMT
"American" is the biggest threat to English.
Emma   Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:33 pm GMT
There is no threat to English, English has already established its position as the language for science. There is no way that Chinese or other language will replace English's current position
kike   Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:30 pm GMT
Well Emma, that is what the roman said about latin…
Emma   Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:32 pm GMT
kike
What you said is true, but history may not repeat itself
Shuimo   Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:01 am GMT
Emma Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:33 pm GMT
There is no threat to English, English has already established its position as the language for science. There is no way that Chinese or other language will replace English's current position

Emma Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:32 pm GMT
kike
What you said is true, but history may not repeat itself
===============================

Well, Emma, note you use "may" in "history may not repeat itself "!

That shows you at least have realized that there is also the possibility that history can repeat itself!

I recall one oft-quoted saying that what we really learned from history is that man never learn lessons from history!

I guess this captures yr mentality very well!

Let me ask you this:

What are the factors and the chief factors that have enabled English to be an international language now? Wud these factors always be there to maintain the position of English?

Could you answer this question?

Let me give you one clue!
There is one Chinese saying of common wisdom which goes this this:
三十年河东,三十年河西
Lietrally, it means:
30 years the east of river,30 years the west of river.

What it really says is:
Tendency would be converse after 30 years.

For language landscape change, you may well switch 30 years to 3 centuries! LOL