"dick"

lily   Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:40 am GMT
hi there

a mother argues with the teacher. she defends her daughter. she shuts the teacher up. then the daughter becomes proud of her mother and she says: " mother, you are dick! I love it"

i'm confused because of using the word "dick" what does it mean in this context? thanx :)
Caspian   Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:26 am GMT
I'm confused too, and I'm English so I suppose I should understand - maybe it's regional? Or maybe the girl doesn't like being embarrassed by her mother?
Edward Teach   Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:40 am GMT
Perhaps the daughter considers herself to be a "dick" also?
She could take pride in aggressive, confrontational behaviour and actively identify with being called a "dick" by other people when she behaves in this manner?

Since the mother was taking her side in an argument and apparently bested the teacher in a verbal confrontation ,no doubt the daughter views this in a positive light and assumes her mother also enjoys things like this. She most likely bonds with her mother by virtue of them both being "dicks"?
Interpreter   Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:42 am GMT
Maybe the mother is or looks like a giant penis? Or maybe she sucks dick so much or is so good at it that "she IS dick" (like the same way you could say "Roger Federer IS tennis" or something)
Robin Michael   Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:46 am GMT
The word 'dick' is almost always used in a derogatory way. So I do not know where this sample of English was taken from.

The funny thing about the word 'Dick' is that it also has a perfectly innocent meaning as well. When I saw the Topic heading, this is what I thought the Topic would be about.

I can give an example with the word 'Cock'. The meaning is the same as 'dick'. However a man might refer to another man as 'cock' in jovial goodhearted way. There are also water taps called 'stop cocks'. My favourite is a beer called 'Cock Robin'.

The innocent meaning of the word 'Dick' is as a shortened from of the name 'Richard'. If I remember correctly there was a pub on Park Street in Bristol called the 'King Dick'.

The name seems to have fallen out of fashion except for hand tools.