Learn all the differences between the UK and US English?

Larissa   Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:19 am GMT
Hi all,
Do you think it's possible to learn all the differences or the most part of them between the UK and US English? And when you learn English vocabulary (as I do) do you think it's better to learn or to memorize an American word rather than a British one because American English is used worldwide?
Kirk   Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:23 am GMT
One thing to remember is that UK and US English are not two monolithic entities which are homogenous within themselves--there are a lot of regional differences within UK and North American English.

That being said, it's up to you which terms you decide to learn and use personally but it's probably best to be at least familiar with the relatively small set of words (excluding slang and some idiomatic expressions) which vary amongst the varieties of English in the world.
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:24 am GMT
I suppose you could spend your entire life studying all the differences between US and UK English (and all the language differences within the US or UK).
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:36 am GMT
Look Larissa I have came with the phase

'One must look at the Dutch and the Afrikaaners'

That should explain it all =)
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:42 am GMT
<do you think it's better to learn or to memorize an American word rather than a British one because American English is used worldwide?>

Though it could be agured that commonweath countries perfer the British version. Look at spelling for example - The USA has their unique way of spelling compared to other English speaking countries.

I think to be safe to memorise both =)
Larissa   Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:53 am GMT
When I learn some vocabulary I'm trying to memorize (the) both versions of English but when you're traveling, when you're on the net or in the daily life you see American terms more often than British ones so nowadays I think it's better to learn AE!
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:59 am GMT
"it could be agured that commonweath countries perfer the British version" maybe, but Canadians use mostly the American terms don't you think so?
Larissa   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:00 am GMT
oo sorry the last posted was me!
Kirk   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:07 am GMT
<<it could be agured that commonweath countries perfer the British version" maybe, but Canadians use mostly the American terms don't you think so?>>

One thing to remember is that dialectal boundaries don't necessarily stop at (often arbitrary) political ones. Thus, it's easier to speak of the umbrella group "North American English" which has many varieties within itself instead of "Canadian English" and "American English" (at least as large umbrella groups). Common settlement patterns in North America in both Canada and the US explain why many terms not used elsewhere are shared between the two countries. It's not that Canada used to speak British English (at least current British English as we know it) and has gradually become "more American" over the years, but that the common linguistic background shared in all of English-speaking North America has to do with those similarities.
Adam   Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:00 pm GMT
It's better to learn British English than American English because it's the version you are most likely to see.

That's because Britain is the world's 2nd-biggest book publishing nation, even bigger than the US, so there are a lot more British books in the world than American books and the other reason is that British media is more dominant around the world than the medi of any other country including the US.

It's British English you should learn. Forget American.
Rick Johnson   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:31 pm GMT
There really aren't enough words different to worry about. If possible learn both, if you only know one of the words the chances are you will still be understood.

Considering the majority of British and American people are totally ignorant about foreign languages I really think you'll be fine. We still manage to travel the world armed only with just a handful of phrases and a capacity to raise one's voice to deafening levels accompanied by appropriate hand signals:

Englishman enters a shop in Spain and points to a selection of buns, "I'LL HAVE TWO OF THOSE........TWO OF THOSE" he says gesticulating holding up two fingers. "NO NOT THOSE, I WANT THE ONES NEXT TO THEM. THOSE THERE........OH FOR CHRIST'S SAKE THOSE" he says frustrated, shouting louder and pointing harder.........GRACIAS!
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:22 pm GMT
<That's because Britain is the world's 2nd-biggest book publishing nation, even bigger than the US, so there are a lot more British books in the world than American books and the other reason is that British media is more dominant around the world than the medi of any other country including the US. >

But remember many publishers in the UK export 'Americanised' versions to the American market and also many other countries especially in Asia which is currently a fast growing region expected to take over the Americas and Europe its traditional book markets.

Point is American English is perfered in these new markets. Even in traditional British English Asian speaking countries such as it's former colonies like Hong Kong, India, Pakistan,Singapore,etc. are slowly swapping to American English.

Dominant media? I wouldn't think so. Just some British guy slipped on Uncle Sam's suit and danced on the International stage.
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:32 pm GMT
<"it could be agured that commonweath countries perfer the British version" maybe, but Canadians use mostly the American terms don't you think so? >

I would have to agree with you Larissa but the underlying point I was making (I should of rephased that)

''It could be agured that MOST commonweath countries perfer the British version''

I think that it does really matter what 'English' you learn. An American and a British wouldn't have problems speaking to eachother 99.9% of the time.
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:35 pm GMT
Another thing I heard:

'Learn British English first American Second - its easy compared to the otherway around.'

Do you think it's true?
César   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:47 pm GMT
>>'Learn British English first American Second - its easy compared to the otherway around.'

Do you think it's true?<<

Mmmm... in my opinion, I don't think it's true. I believe this depends on where you plan to use English (and your taste, of course).

I prefer American English and it has worked for me because I have worked for American companies. I believe that if I had learned British English, then americans would not feel totally comfortable when speaking with me.

Don't take me wrong, americans. :P I say these because it's totally natural to not feel 100% comfortable when one speaks with a person that does not have your accent (it simply sounds a bit different and we can't help noticing that).

I believe that happens in every language, doesn't it? My native tongue is Spanish and I, of course, can speak with any Spanish speaking person around the globe; but it's not as natural as speaking with another costarican.