HSBC Voice message

Pravi   Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:03 pm GMT
I always face problems using everyone and everybody.
As in "Hello, everyone", or "Hello, everybody". Which is correct? Or does the two statements mean different.
UnitedStatesian   Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:09 pm GMT
<<As in "Hello, everyone", or "Hello, everybody". Which is correct? Or does the two statements mean different. >>

I'd say both are correct and mean pretty much the same thing.
César   Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:11 pm GMT
Ditto.
Tiffany   Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:12 pm GMT
Second.
Chamonix   Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:42 pm GMT
I've never heard "stay back". However it sounds very "low class" to me.
I would never use such expession.

"I will ring you later" -never heard of this either, but I heard some Austalians saying it.
Chamonix   Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:44 pm GMT
clicked on send button to early....
<<expession=expression>>
Guest   Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:02 pm GMT
>>"I will ring you later" -never heard of this either, but I heard some Austalians saying it.<<

Which is it then? You've never heard of it or you have, through some Australians?
;)

PS: to ring someone is common in Britain.
Pravi   Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:02 pm GMT
<<"I will ring you later" -never heard of this either, but I heard some Austalians saying it>>
You are right Chamonix. An Australian friend of mine not only used this for calls, she uses this even on an online chat, like "Stay back online, I have a call".
Guest   Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:28 am GMT
It's "stay online" when referring to online chatting. No one says "stay back online", let alone Australians. I should know, I am one.

"Stay back after school" is something you might hear for after-school detention.
andre in usa   Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:07 am GMT
Some people here in the U.S. say "I'll give you a ring," but I haven't heard "I'll ring you later."
Guest   Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:32 pm GMT
<Guest or anyone,
Can you tell me which english do people in New Zealand follow? Do they follow AE or BE? or is it that they are unique?>

We tend to follow the BE system in New Zealand though as all English Speaking countries we have our own words and phases that are unique to New Zealand.
Pravi   Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:01 pm GMT
<<No one says "stay back online", let alone Australians. I should know, I am one. >>
Yes Guest...one of my friend uses this term. And she is a proper aussie. But it might not be acceptable by you. Anyway..thx.
Guest   Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:43 pm GMT
No problem, Pravi. It's idiolectal or acceptable if you like, but it's not ordinarily used.
Guest   Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:11 pm GMT
I also remembered when I called an American calling centre and was asked to dial my pin followed by the 'pound' key.

Confused I though they were referring to the British pound sign. After a lengthy discussion with the operater it was actually the '#' key which I would refer to it as the 'hash' key not a 'pound' key.

Another problem I have found with some call in centres especially for non English speaking callers. Is that most would have their first menu system introducing a option for each language in their native tongue.

There was one where they DID cater for non English speakers but their way was to introducing the caller the normal options in English and the last option would say 'For other languages please press the '8' key'.

If I didn't not know sufficient English I would be worse off than the confusion with the hash/pound drama.
Pete   Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:13 am GMT
<<<Guest or anyone,
Can you tell me which english do people in New Zealand follow? Do they follow AE or BE? or is it that they are unique?>

We tend to follow the BE system in New Zealand though as all English Speaking countries we have our own words and phases that are unique to New Zealand.>>

I guess most countries in the commonwealth community use the so-called "British" system, I've heard "Commonwealth's English" as well. And they have this spelling system used in all those countries, which is known like the British English.

Actually, in my opinion, I guess the places where they use AE are America, and some more Asian countries which used to have a BE system, but know because of fashion stuff they are switching to AE. Of course, my opinion might not be so exact. Any corrections, please?

One of my English teachers was from New Zealand, he was a cool teacher. But sometimes, certain arseholes would mistake him for a British person. Oh, I've had an idea. Well, I'll let you know later.

Pete