Play to

Poster   Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:58 pm GMT
I couldn't find the meaning of 'playing to' someone or something in the dictionary.
Robin Michael   Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:25 am GMT
Some peolpe like to play to their strengths. In other words they concentrate on the things that they are good at. Other people like to develop more rounded personalities and try to be good at a variety of different things. These people practice on eliminating their weakness rather than just playing to their strenghts.
Poster   Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:44 pm GMT
Thanks.
Uriel?
Caspian   Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:26 am GMT
You've got a perfectly good explanation, why do you need Uriel?
Robin Michael   Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:29 pm GMT
There are some people who feel that a thread should stop as soon as someone posts a really good answer.

That is not really how I think about it. For instance:

__________________hopefully___________________

H Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:51 am GMT

Hi,

<In 1996, Patricia T. O’Conner gave us the....>

MY ANSWER

H Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:11 pm GMT

Robin Michael,

Thanks for your input.

I was pleased with "H's" complement. I was tempted to continue with the topic "hopefully", but I thought that it would be wise to quit while I was ahead. Sometimes, when someone says, 'Thank you', that is a signal that they have heard enough and they do not wish to pursue the subject.

However generally, if I write something that I feel really interesting and worthwhile, I would like as many people as possible to read it. Therefore I would like the topic to stay in contention for as long as possible. In some ways the worst thing that can happen to a topic, is to disappear without a trace because no one is interested.

The other thing is, I have given my opinion on this topic 'Play to'. I would also be interested to see other people's answers. Furthermore, I feel that more than one answer possible, and if someone has difficulty with one answer, they might find another answer more helpful.

I have always particularly appreciated Uriel's explanations.
Guest   Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:55 pm GMT
So, you were the OP.
Caspian   Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:05 pm GMT
I don't think there are any more definitions though.

By the way Robin Michael, where are you from? I know you're from Britain, but whereabouts? I'm from Devon.