Which country has the best Spanish?

Krokoko   Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:02 pm GMT
Spain? Mexico? Cuba? ...

I mean as in for some to go there to study it.
hololo   Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 pm GMT
what a stupid question. first of all, if you're American, then go to Mexico, if you're from Europe, then Spain.
EMCA   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 pm GMT
It depends, I'll tell you the characteristics of each one of them so you can decide:

Spain: It retains the S - C/Z distinction, however it isn't the clearest and tends to omit a LOT of D's, (Comunida, Cuidao, etc.), it also tends to change most X's for S's (Exitacion --> Esitacion) and in southern Spain most people skip most S's.

Mexico: Standard Mexican Spanish (the one used by all Mexicans in formal matters) is clear, almost neutral intonation, all letters are pronounced, etc. however in informal situations (like talking to friends) it loses the "neutral" intonation in order to sound funnier (you can't talk to your friends while sounding like a news anchor, right?).

Colombia: Colombians also pronounce all letters, with the exception of some D's and S's depending on the region, however the difference between educated and uneducated people's accent isn't that big, most tend to have a bit of a sung accent.

Argentina: It is Spanish with a heavily Italianized accent, besides using Vos instead of Tu, it's main features include skipping most S's and D's.
hololo   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:13 pm GMT
every Spanish in the world loses D's, if not completely, than it's softened, but it never sounds like in French or in English.
Kendra   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:51 pm GMT
Costa Rica BEST
Venezuela WORST
segun yo   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:59 pm GMT
Spain, of course! It retains the difference between C/z and s. Eu Spanish also preserves vosotros and its verb forms. It is sexy and manly as the same time. I adore it
~   Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:59 pm GMT
<<Venezuela WORST >>

Perhaps a better question is "Which country has the worst Spanish?"

Is it really Venezula, or perhaps some island in the Carribean?
German guest   Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:16 pm GMT
In my opinion the worst Spanish is from Argentina. It is a mixture of Italian-Spanish and Argentinian slang.

The best Spanish is from Colombia and Spain
reality   Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:21 pm GMT
It is a mixture of Italian-Spanish.

This is only a cliché. According to most linguists Italian did not influence Argentinian pronunciation at all!
reloco   Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
I find Argentine Spanish more tractable than Chilean...
Antarctica   Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:04 am GMT
Тhe best Spanish is spoken in Antarctica. Very educated speech and no lower class dialects.
Guam   Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:38 am GMT
The best Spanish that I heard is the one spoken natively by the people of Guam, Chamorro.
guest   Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:41 am GMT
Valladolid, Spain
León, Spain
Burgos, Spain
well   Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:21 am GMT
spain definitely doesn't have the best spanish. it has that annoying lisp that is nonexistent in mexico and other latin american countries (the pronunciation without the lisp is more popular around the world) and the plural informal of "you" is vosotros (three syllables for a plural informal? come on).
reputo   Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 am GMT
<,(three syllables for a plural informal? come on). >>

Umm, you fucking idiot. What do you think they use in Latin America?

US-TED-ES