Fragmentation of English

Edward Teach   Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:44 pm GMT
Shuimo, seriously you need to get your fucking head straight.
That is not normal behaviour.
Uriel   Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:05 pm GMT
<<KT, I told you before quite unequivocally that Polish,English, and whatsoever wesstern lanuages as we know them are no more than a group of dialects of one and the same language! There isn't much point in learning such dialects unless you have to use it under certain special circumstances (say, for getting jobs)!

Therefore I wudn't learn Polish, for it is definitely of no use to Shuimo in whatever situations!

KT, you just have probs in understanding the full meaning of DIALECT!
Hereby I wud like to reiterate that ALL WESTERN LANGUAGES are no more than dialects!
Similarly, Chinese and Japanese and Korean and many other Asian languages are merely dialaects of one and the same language ----CHINESE!

But Chinese and English are by no means dialects!
You see the differences and get the gist of Shuimo's theory? >>

Shuimo, I suggest you get a better idea of how languages develop before going any further with your pet theory, because it's very, very wrong so far.

The fact that most western languages are descended from a common Indo-European ancestral root does not make them dialects of a single language today. Indo-European fragmented what, 6,000 - 10,000 years ago? The Bronze Age? The subsequent developments are by no stretch simply dialects of it. They are mutually unintelligible languages in their own right. Dialects are simply slight variations within the same language, as with Australian and American dialects of English. Farsi and Norwegian, however, are not dialects of a common parent tongue -- by any stretch of the imagination.

As for Japanese being a dialect of Chinese ... have you heard Japanese? It's not even from the same lingiustic family. I know there is some disagreement about where it really fits, but most people lump it in with the Altaic languages, while Chinese is considered part of the Sino-Tibetan group.
Melvis MacEaquaghe   Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:58 pm GMT
<<Wow, has Shuimo become yr star, idol, or sth that you keep such close eye upon me?>>

You've become one of the legends of the internet, right up there with the likes of Jackie Tokemen, Steve Chaney, and Joseph Bartlo.

Compared to "Melvis MacEaquaghe", you're definitely an internet sensation, with orders of nagnitude more exposure.

BTW -- Are you on twitter yet? Facebook? Picassa/Flickr/Pbase/etc? YouTube?