how does English accent sound?

Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:55 pm GMT
I have never heard British English before (only heard American and some others)
I live in Honduras
How does English accent sound?
Guest   Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:50 am GMT
There are a lot of different accents in England and the UK. A few are pretty much unintelligible to me as a UnitedStatesian.
Dude Who Knows   Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:14 am GMT
UnitedStatesian?
UnitedStatesian   Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:59 am GMT
<<UnitedStatesian?>>

Yes -- apparently, it's the new PC term for Americans here in the Antimoon Forums.
Kirk   Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:55 am GMT
<<Yes -- apparently, it's the new PC term for Americans here in the Antimoon Forums.>>

Hardly anyone says that unless in jest.
Tiffany   Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:17 am GMT
That wasn't jest? I was laughing. ;)
UnitedStatesian   Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:38 am GMT
That post was in jest, but also partly true.

I suppose if enough people started using the term (perhaps without the "camel caps"), the descriptivists would have to accept it as valid.
Kirk   Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:56 am GMT
<<I suppose if enough people started using the term (perhaps without the "camel caps"), the descriptivists would have to accept it as valid.>>

Sure. But somehow I doubt that'll be happening...
Adam   Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:55 am GMT
The word "Americans" is arrogant, because Canadians are also Americans. They should be "United Statesian."

It's a bit like the French calling their nationality "European."
Damian in Dun Eidann   Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:31 pm GMT
Asking the question "What does British English sound like?" would be the same as a Martian landing on this planet and asking: "What do Earth people sound like?"

British English accents can change mega style in just a matter of a few miles. Go to Glasgow and listen to the natives speak then hop on a train, travel 40 miles to Edinburgh, and do the same. Down in England, go to Liverpool and eavesdrop on the Liverpudlians then take the 25 mile train trip to Manchester and do the same to the Mancunians. Go to Wales and spend a day in Cardiff and hear the locals speak....take a hop and a skip and a jump across the Severn... and you're in Bristol....both cities practically within sight of each other across the Estuary. Worlds apart accent wise.

Britain.....very small country physically.....but has a hotchpotch myriad of accents. So it's no use really asking what a British accent sounds like....you have to be more specific.
César   Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:57 pm GMT
Not only people from the United States are americans, but people from Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Falkland Islands, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Leeward Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Navassa Islands, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Swan Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uruguay, Venezuela, and Virgin Islands.
Adam   Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:20 pm GMT
I agree.

That's why Americans should be United Statesians, or United States of Americans.
garans   Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:31 pm GMT
How does the English accent sound? - It depend on a listener.

For example for a Russian listener an American speaking Russian sounds metallic and too authorative.
Tiffany   Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
César, please do not bring this over here. It has been discussed ad nauseum in the languages forum and indeed has it's own topic. Stick to the topic at hand in this discussion.

And please do not try and stand up for the Jamaican people, who would take no part in this anyway. Go ahead and ask them if they are American (other than nationality). They will say no. They consider themselves to be from the Caribbean. I suspect it's the same for all the other islands you listed, though I am not able to speak for them (Trinidad and Tobago, Saint Kitts, Montserrat to name a few islands on the list)
Tiffany   Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:29 pm GMT
I should include Adam in that above message.