UK economy overtaken by Italy

Edward Teach   Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 am GMT
I also agree that the Italian Prime Minister is vastly superior to our own.
It has been far too long since Britain had a great leader.

Although your other comments amused me greatly.

Britain has indeed been a tyrannical aggressor along with just about every other nation that gained the power to be one I do not recall ever claiming otherwise.

Iraq was hardly an innocent victim, It had violated several U.N. treaties which justify the invasion. These have been discussed at length on other threads.

Finally I do not recall any country jumping in to defend Iraq with their military.

Italians have a right to feel proud of their economic success and I wish them well.

But can we please have one thread which doesnt devolve into a UK/US hate fest?
666   Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:31 am GMT
What should we hate instead?
We've done gays, religion, scientists, homophobia, USA/UK, China, Robin Michael... what now?
Armada   Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:23 am GMT
I would say Berlusconi is indeed better prime minister than Gordon Brown because economically Italy is performing much better than UK and that's the sole thing that counts. Who cares if he organizes orgies in his villa. That's his private business. Maybe some people who critize him are just jealous.
Breakfast in England   Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:34 am GMT
Edward Teach wrote:

<<Next time a power-hungry dictator rolls his tanks over you, dont ask us for help. >>

Wha-wha-whaaaat...???!!!

I believe indeed that you refer to your BNP... Or to YOUR prince Harry, better known by now as "Harry the Nazi"... :-)

In the matter of any help from Britain, please, HOLD OFF: we have had enough of your stupid, disastrous, unbearable and UNWANTED "police actions". Please, mind your own devastated economy!! We have enough with your depleted uranium and brit-cook poisoning ahahahahah!!

bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaah!
Astonishing coincidence   Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:25 am GMT
From Flaubert's Dictionnaire des idées reçues:

ITALIANS. Live an idyllic sunlit dolce vita, habitually breaking every rule under their sun, which shines perpetually. They exist in a permanent state of chaos, free and unrestrained, talking very loudly indeed. Make wonderful food, e.g. pasta, pizza. Famous for Rome, to which all roads lead. May be confused with SPANIARDS, q.v.
Edward Teach   Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:18 am GMT
The BNP is something of a national joke as is the royal family. Most British people dont care about either of them. Strange that if Britain is so unimportant you seem to devote time to attacking it.

Are we to take it the next time your country is held in thrall by its fear of a stronger nature we should save our pennies and let you suffer?
Edinburgh Medic   Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:24 am GMT
Wow, Damien's still a frequent on Antimoon! It's been 2-3 years since I last visited, 4 years since I first stumbled upon this forum, and he's still going on as strong as ever! Incidentally, I did post on this forum before. I couldn't remember what name I used but I just googled "Pollock Halls" + Antimoon and out came "Some Penguin". So that was my name... lol

I think British politicians could take a lesson or two from Silvio Berlusconi on loosening up and casting off the PC straightjacket. Ok, he's not the shining example of how a national leader should conduct himself but he's mightily entertaining (so long as you aren't offended). Boris Johnson's a nice one too, though he does have to contend with the PC brigade on a daily basis.

Otherwise, I'm all for a round of "Rule Britannia"! (Not in the BNP sense though. I'd be booted out of this country if they had their way, being Chinese and an immigrant and all...)

Hmm, what else... I do think Iraq was better off under Saddam Hussein. Yes, innocent people were killed for no reason under his regime, and innocent people are still being killed for no reason in today's Iraq. Only difference is that things were a lot more orderly and efficient when Saddam was in charge. IHMO, that's also why the Chinese Communist regime is - in spite of all its flaws - a necessary evil, and good for China's development in the short term. Feel free to debate if you wish :p
Edinburgh Medic   Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:31 am GMT
Ah sorry... it should be "Damian" with an "a".
Also, he's still a *regular* on Antimoon, not a "frequent" (what sort of English is that??)

My apologies. I've just pulled an all-nighter, and 2 hours of alcohol followed by 6 hours of studying (i.e. the Edinburgh medic's life) have done no good for my brain.
Edward Teach   Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:07 pm GMT
While I kind of see where you are coming from with the necessary evil theory it is still a bit cold.

How would you react if you were told "Sorry medic, but I am going to torture you to death. Its in everyones best interest"?
Luca   Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:29 pm GMT
Berlusconi is a clown and a complete shame for Italy in terms of the blending of his personal and public affairs; after that, the economic policy of his government is really effective (or at least is far better than the perspective of having the left at the government). That's the only reason by which the country is bearing him since so long.
Mr. Obamaaaaaa, ahahahahhahah!!! Poor Queen Elizabeth...
Do you remember this gaffe of him, folks? :-)
left wing   Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 pm GMT
the economic policy of his government is really effective (or at least is far better than the

Really? you're from Lombardy after all, one of the most conservative Italian regions along with Veneto and Sicily
vérité   Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:42 pm GMT
Flauber ne pouvait pas confondre l'Italie avec l'Espagne. Il savait parfaitement que l'Italie est un pays bien plus attrayant que la patrie de la Corrida!
Luca   Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:03 pm GMT
Sure, I am a lombard from Lombardy, from Cremona, more precisely
Guest   Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:16 pm GMT
It is interesting that in Italy very poor regions like Sicily vote for the right wing. In Spain it's the opposite: poor regions vote for the left wing and become even poorer whereas rich regions are more conservative.
Edinburgh Medic   Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:04 pm GMT
"While I kind of see where you are coming from with the necessary evil theory it is still a bit cold."

Well, I'm not saying that dictatorship is good. Given the right socioeconomic and sociopolitical circumstances, I would always choose democracy over dictatorship. Similarly, I would choose dictatorship over anarchy and mobocracy if those are my only options.

"How would you react if you were told 'Sorry medic, but I am going to torture you to death. Its in everyones best interest'?"

The same thing might happen to me in the Iraq of today or in China of the warlord period. The point I am trying to make is that *if* a proper democracy cannot be established, the only choice you're going to have is between dictatorship and anarchy (or essentially a large number of warring, factional dictatorships). Bad things are going to happen under both, but a strong dictatorship brings some sense of order amidst the cruelty whilst if a mobocracy is allowed to continue, the cruelty and chaos are just going to get worse and worse.

China and Iraq are, in my opinion, not mature enough to form functional democracies so dictatorship and anarchy are really the only choices. Iraq's case is self-evident. As for China... well, trust me, I'm Chinese and I've seen the way many of my countrymen act. If the Chinese Communist Party were to collapse tomorrow, there will be nuclear missiles flying around the day after tomorrow. Taiwan and Japan will be wiped off the earth and so will half of China itself before long. It's too horrific a prospect to contemplate.