Which is easier to learn, French or Spanish?

Shuimo   Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:27 am GMT
Which is easier to learn, French or Spanish?
Then to what extent is one of the two easier than the other to learn?
Caspian   Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:54 am GMT
It's a matter of opinion, and personally I find French easier by far.
Dalai Lama   Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:01 am GMT
French: easier verbs

Spanish: easier grammar, pronunciation, spelling and plurals.

Are you bad at pronunciation of foreign languages? Then Spanish is easier.

Are conjugations a nightmare for you? Then French may be slightly easier.
Shuimo   Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:08 am GMT
Dalai Lama, could you tell me a bit more?

Caspian, why do you find French easier?

Shuimo is considering learning another western tongue other than English!
Shuimo   Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:14 am GMT
BTW, which of them would be more helped by a knowledge of English in a foreigner's learning process?
blanche   Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:29 am GMT
Spanish
Jesus   Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:49 am GMT
Spanish
Anhangá   Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:16 am GMT
Romance syntax and morphology is essentially the same for all the major languages, there isn't one that is significantly easier than the others.

English, for historical reasons, shares more vocabulary (table, environment, etc.) and phrases (coup d'état, fait accompli, etc.) with French than Spanish.
Caspian   Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:40 am GMT
Because you already know English, I think French would be easier. This is because, as Anhangá said above, English share more vocabulary with French. Most words ending in 'tion' are exactly the same in English and French, because of the invasion. Actually, 'environment' was a bad example, because the French is 'environnement'.
This is one of the reasons I find French easier. Also, the pronunciation, while taking some time to learn as it differs from the written word to some extent, is rather regular once you learn it.

Spanish is also easy for somebody who knows English - but the verbs are difficult, as previously mentioned. The subjunctive mood is used a lot more than in French, and this can take some getting used to. There are also radical changes in the vowels which can pose some difficulties.
in my view   Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:03 pm GMT
In my opinion, Spanish is the most regular and straightforward Romance language, except some verb tenses, such as the present tense and the subjunctive mood:
plurals are as easy as the ones of Esperanto
Romanian, French and even Italian have more irregular plurals
Spanish articles are simple and regular compared to the Italian ones, moreover it lacks the partive article (French: du, de la; italian: del dello dei delle della)
Spanish does not have contracted prepositions, except del y al, very easy indeed!
Spanish also lacks the pronominal particles: French y, en; Italian ci, ce, ne vi, ve . These are quite hard to master because they are essentially idiomatic.
Female nouns are really easy in Spanish:
doctor/doctora
profesor/profesora
pintor/pintora
autor/autora

Italian:
dottore/ssa
professore/professoressa
pittore/pittrice
autore/autrice

French:
chanteur/chanteuse
pécheur pécheresse
loup/louve
patron/patronne

Besides, the use of prepositions is easier in Spanish than in French or Italian, in my opinion.
Italian and French take use of two different verbs to form all compound tenses: etre et avoir/ essere and avere and the italian use is even harder than the French one, because more verbs require the auxiliary to be
Luis ha ido
Luis est allé
Luigi è andato
Luisa ha ido
Luise est allée
luisa è andata
Luis y luisa han ido
Luis et Luise sont allés
Luigi e luisa sono andati
Moreover past participles never change in Spanish, except in passive tenses
Anyway I have to say that the difference between Spanish Ser/estar is a bit more complicated than the Italian essere/stare, but in this regard French is the easiest one, because the verb estar/stare does not even exist in French. "
Guest   Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:29 pm GMT
So it's becoming widely accepted on Antimoon that Spanish is the easiest Romance language. What about Brazilian Portuguese? I think that it could rival with Spanish in terms of simplicity.
*v*   Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:07 pm GMT
"Luise est allée "

Impossible de dire ça en français.
On dirait :

- Louise est partie
ou
- Louise s'en est allée
U   Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:19 pm GMT
So it's becoming widely accepted on Antimoon that Spanish is the easiest Romance language.

Not only in Antimoon. All the American webpages about this issue, consider Spanish easier than French, Italian or German.
Guest   Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:49 pm GMT
In my view: "Female nouns are really easy in Spanish:
doctor/doctora
profesor/profesora
pintor/pintora
autor/autora "

This is very relative. You just chose a couple of examples which happen to be regular. But your statement can be disqualified if one considers the many examples of irregular formation of feminine nouns in Spanish. Most of them are as irregular as (or even more irregular than) their French or Italian equivalents:
actor/actriz or --> iz (actora would be wrong)
poeta/poetisa a --> isa (the masculin form ends already in the vowel a)
emperador/emperatriz dor --> triz (change of both suffix and root word)
príncipe/princesa (change of suffix, accent and syllable stress)
rey/reina
héroe/heroina (change of suffix, accent and syllable stress)
alcalde/alcadesa (change of suffix and syllable stress)
gallo/gallina
jinete/amazona
etc., etc.

Moreover, it is very difficult for someone who does not speak Spanish as a mother tongue, to master the usage of the verbs "ser" and "estar". As to the degree of difficulty in plural formation Spanish and French are more or less comparable, while Italian is more complicated in this respect.
Guest   Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:54 pm GMT
actor/actriz or --> iz (actora would be wrong)
poeta/poetisa a --> isa (the masculin form ends already in the vowel a)
emperador/emperatriz dor --> triz (change of both suffix and root word)
príncipe/princesa (change of suffix, accent and syllable stress)
rey/reina
héroe/heroina (change of suffix, accent and syllable stress)
alcalde/alcadesa (change of suffix and syllable stress)
gallo/gallina
jinete/amazona
etc., etc.

Many of these feminine forms are Italian loanwords.