Australian accent

Ian   Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:27 am GMT
Hi guys.

"Are you happy today?"

In Autralian accent, this sentence sounds sort of like ..." Are you happy to die?"

Am I correct?

BTW, I find Aussie accent very sexy...
Garfield   Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:30 am GMT
G'day!!!!!!!!!!

Wake up. Time to work!
Laura Braun   Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:53 am GMT
Garfield, thank you though that's thoughtful wish.
Kangaroo   Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:24 pm GMT
Interesting!

So, when a husband says to his wife, "I want you today.", does his wife take off her clothes or jump into the river?
Trimac20   Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:42 am GMT
I wouldn't say Australia 'a' is identical to GA or RP 'i'. It's pretty close in the broadest of accents though.
two   Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:14 pm GMT
It sounds like that only to speakers of other dialects, but certainly not to Australians. Also when they hear, say a North American say "play" it sounds to them like their "play" and not their "ply". So it only goes one way.
Laura Braun   Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:49 pm GMT
what kind of language do you speak, i had a friend from oz and i never understood what he meant all about because his english was so complicate as yours. why don't you speak clearly. I wish if mean what you mean and i will somehow get to know what you mean is that so difficult. i just give up.
Malibu Queen   Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:35 am GMT
Australian ''lust, bus'' sounds like Western US ''lost, boss'', with [รค] that is...
Pop   Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:19 am GMT
Ace! : Excellent! Very good!
Aerial pingpong : Australian Rules football
Amber fluid : beer
Ambo : ambulance, ambulance driver
Ankle biter : small child
Apples, she'll be : It'll be all right
Arvo : afternoon
Aussie (pron. Ozzie) : Australian
Aussie salute : brushing away flies with the hand
Avos : avocados
Louer   Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:49 am GMT
Yes. Go get her!
Lad   Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:06 pm GMT
Might, this is ice!

[mate, this is ace!]
Laura Braun   Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:24 pm GMT
You know right now I'm watching the movie Australia without subtitles and y I cannot understand so many things. I had a friend from NZ and when she talked to me it was so easy to understand her. Those words which you explained sound interesting to me. But if you go to States and said arvo or avos there aren't much people who can understand you.
Surge   Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:43 am GMT
Very interesting...

Make = Mike..