Should German become the sole official language of the EU?

PARISIEN   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:29 am GMT
<< Russia does not have Roman influence. >>

-- For centuries the Russians have claimed that Moscow is "The Third Rome"

<< English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. Maybe Polish as well, to represent the Slavic side of Europe. >>

-- English, French, and German. That's enough.
Latin Union   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:43 am GMT
English, French, and German. That's enough.

Italy and Spain NEVER allow that.

So, if Italian and Spanish are not official in the European Union, they will vote for ONLY ENGLISH.
Franco   Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 am GMT
<<English, French, and German. That's enough. >>

English. That's enough.
Zarina   Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:05 pm GMT
Moscow is like Imperial Rome in the sense that there are many prostitutes , but appart from that they are completely different, no matter what the Russians claim. Russia was not influenced by Ancient Greece, Rome nor by the Germanic culture, the three main vectors that define the degree of Westerness. Christianity is not that important, plus there are Christian countries in Africa too but are not Western countries.
fraz   Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:20 pm GMT
<<English. That's enough>>

There are politicians who don't speak English though, at least not to the level required for EU business. 27 official languages is a bit extreme but the main European languages should all be recognised.
blanca   Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:36 pm GMT
<<There are politicians who don't speak English though, at least not to the level required for EU business.
>>

You must refer to a major in a town of Greece and such because all politicians who work for European institutions speak fluent English, otherwise they should be ceased immediately due to blatant incompetence.
Baldewin   Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:01 pm GMT
<<There are politicians who don't speak English though, at least not to the level required for EU business. 27 official languages is a bit extreme but the main European languages should all be recognised.>>

Let's all face it. If a European identity is to be developed we need a more neutral language. I fear English alone, although it may be possible over time, wouldn't be accepted by some. We need a neutral language that can be used for communication.
Nationalism most return in a pan-European form or the EU will crumble one day. It's that simple.
Baldewin   Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:03 pm GMT
Nationalism is outdated and must be forgotten, especially the big boys (France, Germany, UK) should evolve to deal with that.
POLISH MY SHOES!   Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:13 pm GMT
POLISH?!

I'd rather die. There'll be a bloody civil war in EU before Polish is official while other Slavic languages are not.
Franco   Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:26 pm GMT
So we all agree that there must be one official language only. Ok, this is a great basis to work with. The language that has to be chosen is quite debatable, I understand. In my opinion these are the candidates:

English
German
Latin
Esperanto
Interlingua
The Merovingian   Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 pm GMT
this is stupid...there's no debate...the status quo is the best solution...all languages are official de iure, only english is official de facto...
Franco   Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:09 pm GMT
People who insist in preserving their native tongue are kinda egoistic in my opinion, because they think more about them and their national pride feelings than about future Europeans. It would take one generation or two (bilingual transitional generations) to adopt the new language and forget the old ones . Further generations will be native speakers of whatever the language whe choose as the official language of the EU and nobody will care anymore the mess of languages that exists nowadays in Europe. Our children deserve a powerful EU superpower with one single language. Big things require some sacrifice but it's worth the pain in my opinion to linguistically unite the EU. English as the de facto language is not enough, the rest of languages must also dissapear until it remains one single tongue. Then national egoism would dissapear and Europe would become a new , solid and truly supernation.
Luca   Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:29 pm GMT
After choosing the official language of this supposed new superpower, they should choose a capital city. Any suggestions?
Franco   Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 pm GMT
Brussels is fine.
Luca   Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:37 pm GMT
Would it be a republic or a monarchy? If a republic, should we have to exile or cut off the kings & queens' head?