Languages and the Latin Union

Spanish Spammer   Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:30 am GMT
It is an organization really interesting.

We can see the weight of all the languages there:

1. Spanish. It is represented by 19 countries

2. Portuguese. It is represented by 8 countries

3. French. It is represented by 5 countries.

4. Italian. It is represented by 2 countries

It is obvious that Spanish is the most important language. We can see it again. Even the second place of French is really threatened by Portuguese.

French is really spoken as the majority mother tongue by France and Monaco. Former French African colonies don't want to be members of the Latin Union because French is not their own language. They speak Arabic and other African languages, and they study French. But they can study English tomorrow.

So, it shows the weakness of French language. I think that Portuguese, more spoken than French nowadays, it will be the second most important second language in the near future.
Joao   Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:44 am GMT
«What are you lot trying to achieve with your 'I think this language is better than this one' posts? You're not going to convince the other person, just give in.»

Caspian, you're absolutely right.

BTW, I am the old João, the "loling" one. I am not not that respectful João that posted in this thread.

João, may I ask who are you? Posso saber quem és tu?
Joao   Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:03 am GMT
From Spain with Love, wrote Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:58 am GMT
«Continental Portuguese is spoken only in Portugal: 10 millions of speakers.
Brazilian Portuguese is spoken only in Brazil: 200 millions of speakers.»

Oh my god! That tropical tendency to exagerate.... It was 145 million. Then it swelled to 160, a few years ago it became 180 million. Now it's 200 million. Don't you use contraceptives in Brazil?
Do not exagerate the figures, please.

«In Africa no one speaks Portuguese, only Politicians, normal people speak local languates be it creoles (in Cape Verde, Bissau, S. Tome) or bantu languages (in Angola and Moçambique).»

Not really. In Mozambique the Portuguese is indeed flawed, but Angolans take pride in their fluency of Portuguese with a tiny accent. It's not just politicians. It's almost everyone. Cape-Verdians speak their creoles toguether with Portuguese.

«Brazilians should declare they language Brazilian, and CapeVerdeans will soon declare CV Creole they 1st language, so Portuguese people will end up crying over the ''grandeza da língua lusa'' LOL, you can take Galícia in your village so you can cry together LOL

Vão tomar banho, ô gentalha grossa e tosca...»

This last sentence is in perfect Portuguese...ooops... declared Brazilian (lol). Pitty that it makes a false assumption. I am not crying about anything. You are crying of rage and frustration (lol). That makes me laugh with joy.
Un misterio   Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:09 am GMT
Tengo entre mis dedos una fruslería. ¿Qué es? ¿Por qué estaré examinándola? ¿Cuál es el sentimiento que me invade al mirar esta fruslería?
Bruzundanguense   Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 am GMT
<< Oh my god! That tropical tendency to exagerate.... It was 145 million. Then it swelled to 160, a few years ago it became 180 million. Now it's 200 million. Don't you use contraceptives in Brazil? >>

These are simply the facts. Population has grown very quickly in the last 50 years, and that has been one of main the main causes of many of our problems.

Estimated Brazilian population from www.ibge.gov.br is 192.153.874. We do use contraceptives in Brazil, and fertility rate is already below replacement levels. But there's the demographic momentum, population is projected to grow until around 2040, when it will peak with some 220 million Brazilians.
White   Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:40 am GMT
Good news!

Portuguese will be always more spoken than French!

It is confirmed that French is the third Romance language, and fourth in pretty pronuntiation.
Gauarapary   Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm GMT
I don't understand why Spain is hated in Portugal. In Brazil we like Spain a lot. I am against UN having Portuguese as their official language, since it would make grammar norms more rigid, and I love the relaxed way things are now.
Bruzundanguense   Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:19 pm GMT
Well, the Portuguese have had to defend themselves against Castillan aggression for centuries. The last attempt of the Castillan aggresor was not so long ago:

II Guerra Mundial: Franco planeou invadir Portugal
E chegou a fazer uma proposta a Hitler, revela historiador espanhol, que diz ter tido acesso a documentos secretos

http://diario.iol.pt/sociedade/franco-invasao-espanha-ii-guerra-mundial-portugal/955128-4071.html

Salazar temia invasão espanhola e tinha razão
História revela que Franco tinha planos de invasão durante a II Guerra Mundial, mas Salazar estava atento

http://www.tvi24.iol.pt/sociedade/invasao-espanha-tvi24-ultimas-salazar/1108142-4071.html
Franco   Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
<<I don't understand why Spain is hated in Portugal. In Brazil we like Spain a lot.
>>

Which country do you like most in Brazil, Spain or Portugal?
Guarapary   Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:18 pm GMT
Portugal is not liked at all in Brazil (except by 18% of Brazilians who have direct relatives in Brazil; compare to the number of Brazilians who have direct ties with Italy which is 19% according to the last CENSUS), Portuguese people are normally ridiculized and mocked (português is a sinonym of a dumb person). Portuguese people stole our gold and we want it back.
Bruzundanguense   Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:35 pm GMT
Utter nonsense. I've never met anyone who did not like Portugal and the Portuguese. People who didn't like the accent, yeah lots of them, but even then most people I've known thought Portuguese accent was funny, not ugly (and most people hate some Brazilian accents as well, so this is not only directed to Portuguese).

The truth is that the vast majority simply don't care at all. Not only about Portugal, they don't care about anything going on outside the national borders. More than half of the population can't even spot Brazil on a map and know next to nothing about the regional differences inside Brazil, and you think they have any idea about or even a general feeling towards foreign countries? The only foreign country people have some idea of is the US for obvious reasons.

Perception of foreign countries here is heavily biased by tourist presence, and educational, socio-economical, and ancestry background, and all these factors vary wildly from region to region.
Franco   Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:03 am GMT
Arriba España
Evinória   Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:35 am GMT
<<<Perception of foreign countries here is heavily based by tourist presence, and educational, socio-economical, and ancestry background, and all these factors vary wildly from region to region. >>>

Acredite que isso não ocorre somente no Brasil. Nos EUA a maioria das pessoas não podem apontar o Brasil no mapa, e além disso, sua aferição de que metade dos brasileiros não consegue tal façanha com o nosso País, é uma mentira. Confesse!

Se tem uma coisa que todo brasileiro conhece é o Mapa brasileiro. Portanto sua afirmação é leviana.

Nos EUA já vi muitas pessoas dizerem "Brasil? Conheço uma linda mulher brasileira". Ou seja, as pessoas conhecem umas às outras através de esteriótipos, isso porque depois de passar um tempo viajando e conhecendo o tão aclamado Mundo Desenvolvido, você descobre que 70% de tudo que diziam eram mentiras ou meias verdades. Não existem povos melhores que outros, e o estadunidense médio, pensa de forma tão ignorante quanto qualquer brasileiro comum.

Portanto é interessante esquecer esses esteriótipos, quando vamos tratar de pessoas. Pessoas são pessoas, complexas e muitas vezes previsíveis. É interessante notar que sim, existe um grande número de brasileiros que não gostam de portuguêses, mas creio que o número de portuguêses que não gostam de brasileiros seja maior. Pelo simples fato de que o Brasil é importante para Portugal, e a recíproca não é de um todo verdadeira. Ao menos, não neste momento.

É muito difícil enxergar a realidade, quando tentamos ver através de fotografias. Quando cheguei à França por exemplo, pensei que seria um País extremamente bem cuidado, organizado e riquíssimo, tendo em vista os brasileiros que sonham em viver lá.

Tamanha não foi a minha surpresa em perceber que sim, a França é um País rico, limpo e belíssimo. Contudo, a maior parte de tudo que eu havia aprendido sobre a Europa Ocidental (Vulgo UK, França, Alemanha, Itália e Espanha) não passava de mentiras.

O que quero dizer com tudo isso? Que não devemos nunca odiar povo algum, pois se existem pessoas más, é lógico que existam pessoas boas. Esteriótipos nunca são bons, é como imaginar que todo estadunidense é direcionado à guerra e que todo português é padeiro.

Quanto mais o tempo passa, mais percebo que nós, humanos temos uma caminhada muito grande em direção à verdadeira evolução, que não se esconde por trás de notas verdes de dinheiro e nem por trás de números de IDH e carros estacionados. A verdadeira evolução está em poder olhar o próximo de igual para igual, como somos na realidade.
Paul   Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:40 am GMT
<<Evinória:

Nos EUA a maioria das pessoas não podem apontar o Brasil no mapa, e além disso, sua aferição de que metade dos brasileiros não consegue tal façanha com o nosso País, é uma mentira. Confesse!

Se tem uma coisa que todo brasileiro conhece é o Mapa brasileiro. Portanto sua afirmação é leviana.>>

Olha só Evinória: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adRBD8xxuEQ

...a verdade doi
Bruzundanguense   Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:33 am GMT
<< É muito difícil enxergar a realidade, quando tentamos ver através de fotografias. >>

Evinoríssima, como o Paul demonstrou acima, mais uma vez fica claro quem é que vive no mundo de fantasia. Já estava na hora de conheceres um pouco do Brasil, não achas?

<< Nos EUA a maioria das pessoas não podem apontar o Brasil no mapa >>

É normal que os ianques não consigam encontrar o Brasil no mapa, pois o Brasil lhes é irrelevante. Mas evidentemente não é disso que se trata. Para haver uma comparação da ignorância ianque com a ignorância brasileira seria preciso que lá também metade da população fosse incapaz de apontar os EUA num mapa.

<< É interessante notar que sim, existe um grande número de brasileiros que não gostam de portuguêses >>

É evidente que existe um grande número de brasileiros que não gosta de portugueses. Assim como existe um grande número de brasileiros que não gosta de ianques, que não gosta de argentinos, que não gosta de angolanos, que não gosta de chineses, que não gosta de alemães, e assim por diante. Ou produzam pesquisas que mostrem que uma proporção significativa de brasileiros não gosta de portugueses ou parem com as abobrinhas. Eu, como se vê, falei apenas da minha experiência pessoal, são vocês estereotipadores que têm mania de falar por todos os brasileiros.

<< Pelo simples fato de que o Brasil é importante para Portugal, e a recíproca não é de um todo verdadeira. >>

E serias capaz de fornecer algum dado qualquer corroborando isso? Qual a importância do Brasil para Portugal? Talvez seja importante como grande fornecedor de imigrantes ilegais? O próprio fato que de há hordas de brasileiros querendo entrar a todo custo em Portugal sem que a recíproca seja de modo algum verdadeira já é um indicativo de qual país é importante para qual, não é? Ao que me parece, importante para Portugal é a União Européia, pouco se importam com o Brasil.