the prettiest European language

Doru   Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:37 am GMT
People should mention their native language when they state their preference. That would make this thread more informative.

I am a Romanian native, and to my ears, Brazilian Portuguese sounds the best, particularly when spoken by women. Argetinian accents and standard Italian are pretty good too. Among Slavic languages I prefer Polish and Czech. Some German accents are pretty cool too.

English, French and Russian leave me cold. And nordic languages (Danish, Dutch etc) sound bad to me.
Van Gaal   Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:57 pm GMT
Dutch is not a Nordic language.
Cruyff   Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:09 pm GMT
Spanish
Puella   Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:25 pm GMT
no doubt, Italian
home   Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:48 pm GMT
I'm Italian and I do not want to judge my native language.
In my view, the most pleasant Romance languages are Castilian Spanish and French, but I don't like Romanian and Argentinian Spanish, for instance.
I also like Russian and Slovak, their soft consonants are impressive.
Swedish and Greek are nice too. I adore the Arabic language too, but it's not a European language :-)
Doru   Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:54 pm GMT
@home

The Romanian heard by Italians and Spaniards is mostly rural Romanian. I am a native Romanian and don't like the sound of it either.
Altair   Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:09 pm GMT
Spanish and Italian, obviously.
Franco   Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
The Romanian heard by Italians and Spaniards is mostly rural Romanian. I am a native Romanian and don't like the sound of it either.

Romanian sounds Slavic, you can't deny it.
Doru   Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:31 pm GMT
More Slavic than continental Spanish or Portuguese?
I don't know, many people think otherwise.
Samantha   Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:51 pm GMT
Swedish.
lupilor   Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:17 am GMT
Swedish and Italian. French too, at times....
Edinburgh Medic   Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:24 pm GMT
PARISIEN wrote:
"<< Italian and russian. Both are melodic >>

-- This could be true, BUT sadly their charming prosody is spoiled by those obnoxious rolled 'R's. Languages with this terrible apical 'R' sound peasant-like to me. I cannot take them seriously. It's my French bias, I know."

Aren't there certain French accents which use a similar rolled R? Especially in the south of France, or so I've heard. Even Edith Piaf rolled her R's in "Non, je ne regrette rien..."
!   Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:29 pm GMT
That's Parisian taste. I find the french ''r'' very innatural and forced
Baldewin   Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:42 pm GMT
Personally I like Castillian Spanish, Russian and High German the most
Greek   Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:52 pm GMT
Italian