The Real Problem/ Issue in Learning Another Language

Antimooner K. T.   Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:27 pm GMT
Maybe this is harsh, but I think one of the issues that adult learners face when learning a second language is the fact that they don't know their own language very well. They spell poorly, don't understand tenses, and don't have a wide enough vocabulary to see cognates in related languages.

I make typos, but I try to look over what I write most of the time. I may even have some grammatical errors that nobody wants to correct, but I pay attention. I don't just throw out any old word and hope that it sticks. I think people who are more successful at learning languages are those who not only take risks (looking foolish when speaking), but those who pay attention to details. If the learner never bothered to learn certain details in his own language, can he hope to learn another language to a high level? I think that he will learn "some" of the language, but won't polish it unless he starts paying more attention!

Your thoughts? By the way, you may correct my English. Only foolish people reject correction.
Overbeeker   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:49 pm GMT
I agree, 1000% and over.
The better command you have of your own native language, the easier it is to get into another one.
Caspian   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:56 pm GMT
It's very true. In his courses, Michel Thomas makes sure to teach people a bit about English grammar before that of the foreign language itself.
imbecile   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:32 pm GMT
Command of one's native language , yes, that helps, but I wouldn't say you need to know grammar. As long as you know how to use it you don't need to know the more technical things...
Caspian   Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:27 pm GMT
I think you'll find it helps a great deal.
fraz   Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:17 pm GMT
<<It's very true. In his courses, Michel Thomas makes sure to teach people a bit about English grammar before that of the foreign language itself. >>

You're not always aware of the intricacies of your own language, you just tend to speak it. When I was using the Michel Thomas German CDs, he pointed out that the word "could" expresses two opposingly different tenses in English. Who would have thought it? Also, we use "when" to refer to both past and future events, whereas other languages might not do this. Learning a new language certainly makes you more aware of your own and unlocks all these little secrets.