"anymore"

Skippy   Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:47 am GMT
So I have two friends who do this, one from Ohio and one from California:

They use 'anymore' in contexts that sound strange to me. As an example, my friend from California was talking about abalone and said "they're like mussels, but really rare anymore." I assumed this was a Midwestern thing because my friend from Ohio was the first person I had encountered who used it in this context. Does anyone know anything about this use of "anymore"?
French   Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:49 am GMT
I was shocked when I recently heard "I rarely come here anymore." I had to google it to make sure it's a common construction.
Uriel   Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:33 am GMT
I use "anymore" in exactly the same manner, Skip (to Caspian's unending amusement). As far as I know, I always have and never thought anything was odd about it until foreigners started commenting on it on the internet.

I have never lived in or even visited the Midwest. My US stomping grounds have been Virginia, NY, California, and NM, and my family hails from New England on one side and the deep South on the other. No Midwesterners anywhere!
Skippy   Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:09 pm GMT
My friend is from Santa Cantilena off the coast of Los Angeles, and she said LA is the closest anyone in her family has been to the Midwest lol
Guest   Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:10 pm GMT
I am from California, but "they're like mussels, but really rare anymore." sounds strange to me. On the other hand, "I rarely come here anymore." is something I might say...
Wintereis   Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:20 pm GMT
As Uriel, I would use the same construction in conversation, and I am from the Intermountain West and educated in the Midwest.
Caspian   Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:11 pm GMT
"I rarely come here anymore." - this is fine, no problem.

"They're like mussels, but really rare anymore." - ???????????

You're dead right, Uriel! I've only just got used to 'already'!! What does 'anymore' actually mean in this context?!
Guest   Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:37 pm GMT
I assume it means "nowadays" or something... I have never heard anyone use it like that in California, though...
daveyboy   Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:38 pm GMT
Anymore when in context means eg: I dont come here anymore, I cant eat that anymore, Its the same as No more eg: I dont come here No more, I cant eat No more of that. then in another context you could say to maybe a child [ thats shouting at you ] hey you..!! anymore of that and you will go to your room. You can use it in a few contexts guys..
boz   Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:37 pm GMT
"they're rare anymore" means "they're not common anymore".
Since "rare" and "not common" are more or less synonymous, some people apparently think the two are interchangeable, thus "anymore" used without a negation.
Skippy   Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:05 pm GMT
Thanks ya'll. You can gather the meaning from the context, but I'm wondering about its geographic spread. I have really only heard it used by my friend from Santa Cantilena off the coast of LA County, and my other friend from Genoa, Ohio.
daveyboy   Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:47 am GMT
It is used alot in the uk..
Guest   Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:01 am GMT
<It is used alot in the uk>

"any more"/"anymore" is obviously used a lot in the UK, but not in this sense:

<"they're rare anymore" means "they're not common anymore". >
SoCal Guest   Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:50 pm GMT
>>I am from California, but "they're like mussels, but really rare anymore." sounds strange to me. On the other hand, "I rarely come here anymore." is something I might say... <<

im from california too, and i had the same reaction. only the 2nd one seems possible

>>I assume it means "nowadays" or something... I have never heard anyone use it like that in California, though...<<

ive never heard it used like that in the state either

im thinking she's just one of those rare people who still uses it out here in that way. it happens
daveyboy   Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:16 pm GMT
Guest, yeah your right, in this context "they're rare anymore" but you could use "there are not that rare anymore"