Do native use "Abdominal breathing" when speaking

Joyce   Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:51 am GMT
Some say the reason why Asian speak English quite differently from native English speakers is that native speaker use "abdominal breathing" while Asian people use "chest breathing. They claim that is why Asian's spoken English sounds shallow and thin, while native speakers sound rich and thick.

Is that true?
Thegreatseph   Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:55 pm GMT
I honestly must admit that I was a bit perplexed at what you meant by "abdominal breathing" as googling it returns results that suggest it is some sort of relaxation technique.

In any case, being a native English speaker, I certainly do not think that I breathe differently than any Asian I have met. Pronunciation can come from different places. The primary place of articulation tends to get fuller and richer as it gets further "down" in your throat, which would lead me to think that this perception of shallowness is primarily due to the process of articulating the sound, not in how a person breathes.

I have not had trouble replicating most of the sounds in Japanese, with the exception of the l/r sound. Some of the native Japanese speakers who I have talked with who are learning English don't seem to have a problem producing many sounds in the same way I do. Their only real problems stem from sounds that are in English that are not in Japanese such as the "th" sound.

I do not believe that one has to change the way they breathe to replicate any sound in English. Also note, not all Asians pronounce things wrong in the same way, I have heard native Chinese and Japanese speakers make completely different mistakes.
Uriel   Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:53 am GMT
No, we don't use abdominal breathing to talk.
Stupid cunt   Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 am GMT
The lungs are in the abdomen, so isn't any breathing abdominal?
Joyce   Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:13 am GMT
Thegreatseph, so much thanks for your detailed explanation! I've been quite doubtful of such theory, which is taught by my English teachers who are non-native English speakers. Now I'm really relieved to know that good pronunciation has nothing to do with breathing techniques.

Uriel , I am also thankful for your confirmation!
Uriel   Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 am GMT
Stupid cunt, the lungs are in the chest, not the abdomen. The diaphragm beneath the lungs is what separates the chest cavity from the abdominal cavity.

You are indeed well named!
Stupid cunt   Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:56 am GMT
Then shouldn't abdominal breathing be impossible and all breathing be chestical breathing, since the lungs are in the chest? Why is it called abdominal breathing if it occurs in the chest?
JoyJoyJoy   Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:12 pm GMT
Abdominal breathing is when you breath using your diaphragme, you actually inflate your stomach in order to breath this way, this is why it is called abdominal breathing ;)
JoyJoyJoy   Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:15 pm GMT
As a non native english speaker, I find it easier to have a good accent and pronounciation breathing this way, your voice will be louder and clearer, and american people do talk loud.
Jasper   Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:47 pm GMT
Abdominal breathing is recommended for speech production by many diction textbooks, one of which I've borrowed through the library via ILL.

While the exercises are myriad in number, a common thread running through them involves laying down, and placing a book on the stomach/solar plexus to make sure the sounds are originating from there.

This is supposed to effect a deeper, richer, more sonorous voice production.
Edinburgh Medic   Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:45 pm GMT
"Why is it called abdominal breathing if it occurs in the chest?"

When the diaphragm contracts, it moves downwards into the abdomen, expanding the volume and decreasing the pressure in the thorax. At the same time, the chest wall moves outwards and upwards like a bucket handle... which I guess what you'd call "chest breathing". This serves the same purpose (expanding volume, decreasing pressure), allowing air to enter the lungs due to the pressure differential.

"They claim that is why Asian's spoken English sounds shallow and thin, while native speakers sound rich and thick."

I have noticed that myself (I am Chinese) and I think it is especially true of Chinese and Japanese speakers (less so for Koreans; not sure about SE Asians). I think it has more to do with the depth of their breath rather than how they normally breathe, i.e. when they're not talking.

Certainly, Southern Chinese and some Japanese tend to speak with a slightly nasal and staccato quality, and take shallower breaths while they're at it. I think this might apply to myself so I have been consciously trying to make my voice slightly "richer"... but my asthma and clogged nose aren't helping!!

Northern Chinese can sound rather throaty but that's due to the way they pronounce sounds, not the way they breathe.
Laura Braun   Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 pm GMT
I use vaginal breathing while speaking English.