Better English: Brits or Americans

Jasper   Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:52 pm GMT
URIEL: "Yeah, only a handful of people speak Navajo, and they all pretty much live in one area."

Here's some trivia:

•What's the hardest language in the world to learn for an American English speaker?
•Navajo. (The second-hardest is supposed to be Mandarin Chinese.)
H   Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:21 pm GMT
<I can assure you that those people who managed to cross the Channel or the North Sea prior to the complete occupation of countries like the Netherlands, Belgium and France in 1940 were indeed accepted as refugees in this country>

That is the comfortable official line; but you should know that there were many restrictions on Jewish immigration throughout the Second World War, many requirements, many failed attempts.
Why am I so great?   Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:45 am GMT
American English is powerful, manly and authorative. English English is weak, womanly and feeble.

Evidence: Imagine Duke Nukem with a British accent.

Nuff said.
Entbark   Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:44 am GMT
A bit of a generalization to say that. Look at James Bond. Not so weak. Then look at the show the Big Bang Theory. Not so powerful, manly and authoritative. It really makes a huge difference who is doing the talking.
The Observer   Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:42 pm GMT
>>Better English: Brits or Americans<<

The English. I don't no about any "Brits" though, I only know about the English, the Scotts and the Welsh, all of whom live on the British Isles.

Regarding most manly and most authorative? well, it all comes down to the speaker.
Guest   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:40 pm GMT
I definitely prefer American English. PR English sounds like some backward dialect to be honest.
Why am I so great?   Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:33 pm GMT
<<Look at James Bond. Not so weak. >>

See! More evidence! Even at the very best, an Englishman can only be sleazy and conceited, not pure power.

<<Then look at the show the Big Bang Theory. Not so powerful, manly and authoritative.>>

Now compare those Americans who are on the lower end of the scale with the English on the lower end of the scale. Yes, those Americans are not so powerful, but the English ones will break your ears with their off the scale woman's shrieking.
Mark   Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:07 pm GMT
Being an Englishman I have to say American their women sound so much sexier and more friendly.

But ignoring that fact, they both have different stereotypes.

American - Business, Friendly // Self-Centered (dislike currently - politics)
English (posh) - Educated, Polite // Snobbish, Cold,

At the moment the English and the Americans are probably the most disliked around the world at least in the west.