adventure games

mr. esl   Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:19 pm GMT
I'd like to buy adventure games in order to improve my english.
I'd like to buy those which have a lot of dialogues and which I can play on current windows settings.

Can anyone help me out?
Thegreatseph   Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:05 pm GMT
It might be easier to get the older DOS versions, and use DOSbox on a windows machine to play them. As far as I know it doesn't matter which localization of Windows you have if you use DOSbox. If you look for Abandonware I am certain you can find many old adventure games for free.

If you wish to buy newer windows games, sometimes windows settings do not have to be changed to run them. I have the German version of Microsoft's Freelancer, and I have to use the No-cd crack to play it on my US localized machine.

In addition the f1 key doesn't bring up help like it is supposed to on my US keyboard. I use a software keyboard set to a standard German unit and that works fine when I need to use the F-keys, the other keys all seem to work fine.

Also I have yet to have an issue with a game in Linux yet, international support seems to be much better with that operating system (at least the Debian distros).
Boyntonville bumpkin   Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:22 pm GMT
I think Tom* here recommended "Grand Theft Auto IV" (IV or V, something like that, whichever is the latest). From what I've heard, it's an uncannily accurate portrayal of everyday goings-on in New York City and the US as a whole (as imagined by the British). Some of the skills you learn while playing the game might come in useful if you ever come over here to the US for a visit.