English craze in my country

Ian   Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:17 pm GMT
Here in China, we are supposed to start to learn English at primary school level and many parents are paying extra money for their kids to learn English at all kinds of English training centers which,in my view, might be one of the most profitable within the education field.

Ads of English training camps abound by the roads,even in remote rural areas...
At college level, English is a compulsary course no matter what you major is ,while Chinese is not.
We've got a CET(a.k.a College English test). And it's a must for your graduation.

Well, if you're inerested in English, then fine, study it as you like. And in reality they must be some students who don't want to learn English but they have no other choice but to learn it anyway. Every year there are still some of them who are not allowed to graduate because of failing in CET...
Ian   Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:18 pm GMT
BTW, I like English from the start. Learning English is fun for me but for others,maybe it's not.
Ian   Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:29 pm GMT
Please correct me if I made any grammatical errors.

I come to this forum every day but I seldom say anything due to my poor English proficiency.

I read your threads and conversations every day mainly focusing on how you use words.

I never had a teacher from English speaking countries but
I have been keeping learning English for many years.

Ian
Edward Teach   Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:37 pm GMT
looks all good from here Ian, you are doing well.
Ian   Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:38 pm GMT
Hey Edward.

Thank you for your compliment.

Back to the topic, Do you think the "craze" is normal?

Ian
Guest   Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:56 pm GMT
I have a problem with your comas. Like here:>which,in my view<. You obviously know the rule but you're not consistent.
Your usage of craze is normal, if that's what you mean.
Also, the 'craze' itself is 'normal'; wasn't it Sun Tzu who wrote:
知彼知己,百戰不殆;不知彼而知己,一勝一負;不知彼,不知己,每戰必殆 ?
Bruzundanguense   Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:02 pm GMT
Is this anglophilia limited to the language, or does it extend to anglo culture? If people are only learning the language as a tool to have better life opportunities, then I can't why it wouldn't be "normal".
Ian   Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 pm GMT
Hi Guest.

Thank you.

With " Craze", I mean the English craze in my country.

What do you think of it?

Haha. Wow... It's really surpring to see you can read Ancient Chinese. :)

I think the characters are the most difficult and confusing part for foreigners who are learning Chinese.

And it roughly means that "you'll prevail in wars if you really know about yourself and your enemies."
Ian   Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:13 pm GMT
Yes ,Bruzundanguense.

For now, it's just within the language level.

But those who are not interested still have to learn it.

If they can't reach a certain level in the end, they can't get their gradation certificates...

That's the problem...

Ian
Ian   Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:14 pm GMT
*New word detected*

anglophilia

:)

Now it's included in my dictionary.
Ian   Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:20 pm GMT
Up to now, Mark Henry Rowswell(Dashan) speaks the most fluent and flawless Chinese among all foreigners I've ever heard of in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashan
Joyce   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:57 am GMT
You can do an online research to see whether Japanese and Korean are also crazy in learning English.