Go without "to"

Uriel   Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:39 am GMT
Poor Marlon must be wondering what the hell happened to his original question! If he hasn't been driven off by all this drivel.....
Eric   Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:45 am GMT
<English..."English" is the incorrect version. It is too hard for us Americans to learn>

Guess that quote sums it up. Maybe that is why you misunderstand me, or you simply wish to twist things around and play with words for your own amusement. And the result is “drivel” from your part, not from mine. It has nothing to do with different opinions or “different” facts.

Once example of twisting things around and to play with words and there meaning.
( English is English, not British English. British English is the subset,)

Translates into: English (British) is the language and the other forms of that language are different variations. The different variations are therefore not an own language in it self. That is why people say American English, Australian English, New Zeeland’s English and Canadian English in order to stress the different variations. NOT to say that there variations are a language in it self.

I am having a blast here, and I look forward to further verbal abuse and name calling. That seems to be the American? Way of communicate and approach towards others, and hell…I am starting to “like” it.
Eric   Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:05 pm GMT
Should guard myself from any "misunderstandings" on this one (just in case) Great Brittan does not refer to there own language as British English ( It is there language after all). That does not exclude others to refer to the British own language as “British English”. That is done in order for them to stress the differences between there own VARIATION of the language.
Guest   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:07 pm GMT
Clearly, the above poster should learn to write in a language properly before pretending to know anything useful about it.

It's important to proofread your deficient attempts before making the same spelling and punctuation mistakes repeatedly. Maybe there would be fewer misunderstandings and you'd be able to better communicate an idea, assuming it has substance. However this has rarely been the case.

By the way, English "belongs" to whoever speaks it, usually natively. It doesn't "belong" to a single group or country alone.
Candy   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:29 pm GMT
Eric, sweetie, your messages might have a little more credibility (though I doubt it) if you learnt the essential difference between 'there' and 'their', and if you could spell the name of your (and my) own country correctly. It's BRITAIN, not 'Brittan'. Great impression you're giving people of the British. Thanks sooo much.
Eric   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:35 pm GMT
You are still confused. Punctuation mistakes granted, my spelling though is far better then the vast majority of posters here. Next time check or count the miss spelled words in each single post on this forum. Mine included of course. Do so before you decide to make a stupid remark claiming that my “miss spelling” was the reason for your "misunderstanding". My spelling is one of the better here; my punctuation how ever is not up to the best standard. But that does not leave room for “misunderstandings”.

<assuming it has substance. However this has rarely been the case>.

Do not assume, read and you will find the substance of my reasoning. Does not require that you agree.

<By the way, English "belongs" to whoever speaks it, usually natively. It doesn't "belong" to a single group or country alone.>

Even more confused, but this time it is due to the pure sense of wanting to argue and as such....we are done with this topic.
Guest   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:41 pm GMT
It's not just the spelling and punctuation, it's the poor grammar as well.

The Romans don't lay claim to the Romance languages as the British shouldn't with English.
Candy   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:47 pm GMT
Eric: a 6-year-old child knows the difference between 'there' and 'their'.
Guest   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:51 pm GMT
Don't rub it in now, Candy.
Eric   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:51 pm GMT
Candy (missed your post). There is the cave and their car. I am "dyslectic" and sometimes I fail to see the differences.(among others, but I try. Thank you for pointing it out….;). poor grammar is in this forum shared by many, or poor grammar is shared by many in this forum.

<The Romans don't lay claim to the Romance languages as the British shouldn't with English.>

Still confused, have not read what I wrote and still wish to argue for the pure sense of the argument.
Guest   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:55 pm GMT
Yeah, just use other forum users and their poor grammar as an excuse.

>>Still confused, have not read what I wrote and still wish to argue for the pure sense of the argument. <<

Back at you: still confused, have not read what I wrote and still wish to argue for the pure sense of the argument.
Candy   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:56 pm GMT
If you're dyslectic, I take back my previous post. Still don't agree with you, though! :)
Travis   Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:57 pm GMT
>>Eric: a 6-year-old child knows the difference between 'there' and 'their'.<<

As much as I strongly disagree with many of the positions that Eric has taken here, spelling mistakes are still thoroughly irrelevant to the topic at hand here, and to make any mention of them can only be considered to be ad hominem in nature.
Guest   Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:01 pm GMT
So the mudslinging can only come from Eric, Travis?
Candy   Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
<<As much as I strongly disagree with many of the positions that Eric has taken here, spelling mistakes are still thoroughly irrelevant to the topic at hand here, and to make any mention of them can only be considered to be ad hominem in nature. >>

<<If you're dyslectic, I take back my previous post.>>

See my post above.
I don't consider pointing out incredibly basic spelling errors on a language forum to be irrelevant, or ad hominem attacks, especially when the poster making the errors seems to be arguing for the superiority of his own variety of English.