How do you pronounce ''kilometer''?

Guy   Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:36 am GMT
I have kil-AH-mih-tur, DEE-tails, in-SHUR-rince, FIE-nance.
I usually say EE-thur and NEE-thur but occasionally i could use EYE-thur and NIE-thur.
Mxsmanic   Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:08 pm GMT
Incidentally, kilometre is the official SI spelling in English, on both sides of the Atlantic, although this rule is not widely followed (at least not in the U.S.).
Damian in Scotland   Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:15 pm GMT
At least when anybody pronounces "mile" it can't be mucked up in any way. All we need to do on this side of the Pond is to get rid of the (BLEEP) mile once and for all and have kilometres on our road signs, however way it's pronounced (or spelt). Ireland already has. The mile is the last vestige of outdated imperial measures still remaining apart from the pint down the pub and they tried to literise (litreise? doesn't look right) that until all the old blokes propping up the bar protested.

Outside of unofficial general popular public use in everyday life (such as road distance measurements) the kilometre is used in practically all official dealings. All of commerce and science is metric and any imperial measures shown are invariably in brackets which is stupid and cumbersome and unnecessary in the 21st century. Any retailer still solely selling in imperial measures will be prosecuted.
R.K.Raj   Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:44 pm GMT
Kilometre:The pronunciation could be keelomete with the stress on k and m
Adam   Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:35 pm GMT
I prefer using miles myself. Much easier to pronounce.
Uriel   Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:24 pm GMT
<<Incidentally, kilometre is the official SI spelling in English, on both sides of the Atlantic, although this rule is not widely followed (at least not in the U.S.). >>

Yeah, SO "not followed" that I've NEVER seen it in the US, and that sounds like bull puckey to me....
american nic   Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:11 pm GMT
I've never heard of 'kilometre' being used in the states, so I have to agree with Uriel on this one.
SpaceFlight   Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:37 am GMT
<<I've never heard of 'kilometre' being used in the states, so I have to agree with Uriel on this one.>>

Yeah, it's never used here. I don't know what Mxsmanic is talking about.
Guest   Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:46 am GMT
The key phrase is "kilometre is the official SI spelling in English". That's all Mxsmanic stated. SI being the regulatory body for unit standardization in the scientific community. Is that so hard to understand?
Uriel   Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:33 am GMT
I've taken plenty of science courses in the US, and I work in a scientific field. I deal with metric all the time. But nowhere, not in any textbook or other written reference, have I seen the spelling "kilometre".
Guest   Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:26 am GMT
'metre' and 'meter' means different things for me though.

'Metre' is a distance measuring unit and 'meter' is a device used to measured gas or water.
Travis   Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:32 am GMT
>>The key phrase is "kilometre is the official SI spelling in English". That's all Mxsmanic stated. SI being the regulatory body for unit standardization in the scientific community. Is that so hard to understand?<<

The matter, though, is that the actual spelling used in the American English orthography is "kilometer" and most definitely *not* "kilometre", whatever SI may happen to say be damned. I have never seen "kilometre" *ever* used in an American English context myself, to say the least.
Guest   Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:12 am GMT
>>The matter, though, is that the actual spelling used in the American English orthography is "kilometer<<

And that was the crux of Mxsmanic's point... though.

>>and most definitely *not* "kilometre", whatever SI may happen to say be damned.<<

Well dayum! How evil of the international committees for devising the SI, in standardizing measures and their spellings. <g>
Travis   Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:22 am GMT
>>And that was the crux of Mxsmanic's point... though.<<

I know, looking back, but I just had forgotten to actually read Mxsmanic's post myself.

>>Well dayum! How evil of the international committees for devising the SI, in standardizing measures and their spellings. <g> <<

And how evil of them to make "aluminium" the "standard" spelling of the name of element 13 rather than "aluminum" too. ;)
Layla   Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:50 pm GMT
deTAIL sounds much better than DEtail