fluent english???

Tiago   Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:37 am GMT
I have been living in the USa for 10 years and i feel that my english is almost the same as that of a native speaker (barring the accent) anyway, i can communicate anything i need to in english without problems, but then there are a few words that when i come upon them i dont understand at all...also there are some idiomatic phrases that i dont understand that vertually everyone else in the USA knows. Is there any way i coudl better learn these things or is it a constant learning process?
Guest   Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:11 am GMT
I think it's going to be a constant learning process. There are lots of English words that I still don't know (and never will), and more new ones being coined every day.
bizare   Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:32 am GMT
what is your problem?
if you are speaking spain you could never become fluent...on the other side if i were you i would never bother with your problem.
Mxsmanic   Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:58 am GMT
Language acquisition is a constant learning process even for native speakers. For example, the average person's native vocabulary increases continually throughout his lifetime, even though most of the everyday vocabulary is acquired early in life. Formal schooling may cause vocabulary and/or language skills to be a acquired somewhat more rapidly (if they exercise language beyond the skills a person already had), but language skill improves gradually throughout life, in the absence of pathology (very old people with some types of illnesses may lose language ability to some extent).
Damian   Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:16 am GMT
BBC TV is about to start a new series on the English Language, and the program is called Balderdash and Piffle. Sounds like the name of a firm of lawyers, a wee bit like the genuine name for a firm of real estate agents down in England called Messrs. Doolittle and Dally.

Anyway, it's a program that looks as if it will be interesting and full of facts you may never have known about previously. Like the fact that the English Language contains 59,181 official words beginning with the letter P.

page post police paint power prude publish portent primrose petulant

Anybody know the remaining 59,171 others?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/commercial/worldwidestories/pressreleases/2005/12_december/balderdash_piffle.shtml