2010 pronunciation and name for this ending decade.

Damian in Falkirk   Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:27 pm GMT
Strictly speaking the next decade does not begin until a year from now - on 01 January 2011 as there was no year zero! In any case, don't we always count from one to ten and not from zero to nine?

We had this very same discussion ten years ago as to exactly when the present millennium was to commence, let alone the new decade.

I think we all shoud be grateful for being around to experience a very rare event in chronological time history...the dawning of the Third Millennium. I reckon I won't have much stamina for wild celebrations at the age of one thousand and seventeen years on 01 Jan 3000....or one thousand and eighteen years on 01 Jan 3001.

Anyway, be that as it may - referring to the new decade, whenever it begins, as the "Twenty Teens" has been ruled out in the UK as the teen years do not actually begin for another three years yet....what a complicated pig's dinner this all is.

The general consensus of opinion in the UK now is that it should be called the "Twenty Tens", as it will be followed by the "Twenty Twenties" and then the "Twenty Thirties" and so on....is that not a logical conclusion or what?

Twelve thirty hours GMT/UTC on Saturday the second of January twenty ten...over and out.

PS: The Antimoon clock is still out of sync!
strombosys   Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:19 pm GMT
<<Strictly speaking the next decade does not begin until a year from now - on 01 January 2011 as there was no year zero! In any case, don't we always count from one to ten and not from zero to nine?
>>

All normal people refer to decades as the multiples of ten.... Technically then, there is no such thing as the 80s, 90s, 60s too, because 1959 is not in the 60s! So if that's the case, then ALL the terminology is wrong and there's no point in even discussing what to call the 2001-2011 or whatever, until we figure out what to call every other decade... Nobody is really interested in the decade with respect to year zero, but rather with respect to more recent history...

<<PS: The Antimoon clock is still out of sync! >>

Is this really tearing at your soul or something..?