Why is "cunt" considered to be the worst word in t

Leila   Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:27 pm GMT
language?
Lili   Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:04 pm GMT
Because the thing men have the most contempt for in the world is that particular part of the female anatomy and what it is used for.
Lili   Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:05 pm GMT
Is it not the case in other languages?
Wintereis   Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:14 pm GMT
<<Because the thing men have the most contempt for in the world is that particular part of the female anatomy and what it is used for.>>

I'm not entirely sure that that would be a correct statement. I can't speak personally, as I am gay, but my understanding is that many men happen to like that part of the female anatomy a great deal.
Lili   Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:29 pm GMT
Just because heterosexual men enjoy having sex with women doesn't mean they don't have contempt for the female body or women's sexuality. I guess being a man you have not paid to much attention to feminism. And I guess as a gay man you don't view your sexual partners' bodies with contempt since yours is the same, even though in gay relationships men can play a similar sexual role to a woman.
Leasnam   Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:48 pm GMT
Because it devalues the worman being referred to.

To simply refer to a woman by her genitals means that she is worth nothing more that that to you.
Lili   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:12 pm GMT
Leasnam

That's not quite it though, is it, as men refer to EACH OTHER as 'c*nts'. Like so many slurs in the English language, an inadvertant slur against a woman can be used to insult a man. Think 'bastard' or 'son of a bitch', used to insult a man yet really insulting his mother's behaviour.

Still, I don't care much, if I want to insult some one, the first word that comes to mind is 'c*ck'!
Neither   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:14 pm GMT
an expression of vagina envy???
Lili   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:14 pm GMT
Or to insult a man anyway hehe. I really don't feel like using any slur against women to vent my feelings about a man that has angered me, I just feel like saying 'c*ck'
Lili   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:17 pm GMT
@Neither

Lol, maybe. I mean surely Freud's idea of penis envy is flawed. Women don't feel envious of penises, the only envy is men's own envy of other men's bigger penises (or peni I believe is the correct plural). But yes, I'm sure deep down men feel some envy of women's capacity for reproduction.
Guest   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:24 pm GMT
Reproduction? Who wants to bear the pains of childbearing?

If men are envious of a different, deeper kind of orgasm, the feeling of another's flesh inside of you, they can always try being on the receiving end of anal penetration.

Problem solved. Next!
Leasnam   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:53 pm GMT
<<as men refer to EACH OTHER as 'c*nts'.>>

Hmm, I've never head this before, but I believe you.
Men where I live will call another man a "bitch", but that's it.

With men, though, I think it's a carryover from the words being used first against women by men, then extended by analogy.

<<Still, I don't care much, if I want to insult some one, the first word that comes to mind is 'c*ck'! >>

For me, to insult a man (if he's an asshole) is to call him a dick, or refer to him as "dickhead" (like that's his name). Otherwise, he's a "piece of shit"

For women, it's bitch.
Lili   Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:38 pm GMT
>>Reproduction? Who wants to bear the pains of childbearing? <<

That's the down side of it, and no doubt there's pain involved, but still, men know they will never be able to experience the joy of another life growing within them. I'm a woman, who has resigned herself to never having kids, and believe me I don't envy the pain of childbirth or the discomfort of morning sickness, but believe me, I regret the fact that I will probably never experience the miracle of a new life growing within me.
Lili   Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:41 pm GMT
Leasnam

I guess you're American. Maybe you don't say it there. But calling another man a 'bitch' is still an obvious female referenced insult. As for 'dick', 'dickhead' or 'piece of shit', well yeah, they need to take on the same severity as 'c*nt'. It's nearly there, but not quite.
Common Man   Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:45 pm GMT
<<That's the down side of it, and no doubt there's pain involved, but still, men know they will never be able to experience the joy of another life growing within them.>>

uh, I'll pass. Thank you.