What British accent?

Nestor   Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:25 pm GMT
I'm thinking about buying this audiobook:

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/products/ProductDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1897108366.1261927452@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladejelkllikcefecekjdffidflg.0&productID=BK_HARP_001431

Can you tell from the sample what kind of British accent has the narrator? I'm doubting between Received Pronunciation and Manchester accent.
daveyboy   Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:46 pm GMT
She has the accent of america not England..
Nestor   Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:52 pm GMT
Oh,..so is a New England Accent then?
daveyboy   Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:55 pm GMT
I dont know Nestor, dont no where in america the accent is from but wait for more people to tell you.
cockster   Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:11 pm GMT
Is it Irish?
whatever   Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:17 pm GMT
Its cocksters chav accent..
matti:   Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:06 pm GMT
it sounds mildly scottish to me
Zaza   Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:32 am GMT
It's not a she it's a he you deaf c*nts.
Zaza   Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:42 pm GMT
Can i suck you off matti..?
Another Guest   Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:00 pm GMT
I think that some people are confused between the narrator (male) and the reviewer (female). The narrator sounds somewhat Irish to me.

BTW, "Can you tell from the sample what kind of British accent has the narrator?"

Shouldn't that be "Can you tell from the sample what kind of British accent the narrator has?"
Nestor   Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:16 pm GMT
Yeah, Another guest, I meant the narrator, and I think that you're right in saying Irish.
Adam   Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:49 am GMT
I was interested because I like accents and this was very hard to place. I would have guessed the affected, vaguely but inconsistently British accent some Canadians put on when traveling abroad (along with the inevitable maple-leaf-on-the-backpack so there will sure to be no misunderstanding).

I cheated and googled the narrator though and it seems he split his childhood between New York and London, so it appears this resulted in a Northern American accent with a slight London underpinning.
Hahvahd Squay-ah   Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:23 pm GMT
It's a very soft Irish accent (not Northern Irish for sure).
Robin Michael   Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:32 pm GMT
Is this too much for you to read? If so, skip and move on, but please don't be insulting.
"Narrator Rupert Degas is flawless in his interpretation of the story."
Biography for Rupert Degas Son of Brian Degas and Maggie Clews. Attended Hill House School in Knightsbridge before living in Barcelona and New York for three years. Then attended Emanuel School in Wandsworth. Plays piano and collects fine wines. Now lives in Queen's Park in North London.
The accent does sound slightly Irish (Eire). But it is quite close to standard R.P. Standard received pronunciation would sound a little stuffy and lacking in character.
"RP is an accent, not a dialect, since all RP speakers speak Standard English. In other words, they avoid non-standard grammatical constructions and localised vocabulary characteristic of regional dialects. RP is also regionally non-specific, that is it does not contain any clues about a speaker’s geographic background. But it does reveal a great deal about their social and/or educational background."
http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/find-out-more/received-pronunciation/
"RP: The definition of ‘received’ conveys its original meaning of ‘accepted’ or ‘approved’ — as in ‘received wisdom’. "
"RP encompasses a wide variety of speakers and should not be confused with the notion of ‘posh’ speech."
"Contemporary RP refers to speakers using features typical of younger RP speakers. All, however, are united by the fact they do not use any pronunciation patterns that allow us to make assumptions about where they are from in the UK."
" ....many commentators even suggest that younger RP speakers often go to great lengths to disguise their middle-class accent by incorporating regional features into their speech."