Please

sexy allah   Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:29 pm GMT
some people say "please, blah blah" instead of "please blah blah".. but should there be no comma ,?
K. T.   Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:20 pm GMT
Oh no, not "sexy Allah" again! Do you remember the comments last time?
sexy allah   Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 am GMT
K.T. what comments?
Timothy   Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:11 am GMT
Often in English, commas are optional. Often you can choose whether to use one, based on whether its use will add clarity or emphasis somewhere.

Examples of when the comma is optional:

Please turn off your cell phones.
Please don't touch me.
Please, don't offer my children that candy any more.
Please, calm down.

Examples of when the comma must or must not be used:

Could you please pass the salt?
Please, can you move your car just a few feet?
Please, for the third time, will you stop honking your horn at 5 AM?
I know the gift will please her.
It is polite to say please when you want something.
Robin Michael   Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:44 am GMT
OK, Timothy, I know I am guilty of comma abuse. Can you please explain to me where a comma should be used?

I personally am inclined to use a comma where I pause for breathe. However sometimes when I look back over something that I have written I use a comma to break up long sentences that I fear may be incomprehensible. I think; should I use a comma? or should I break up a long sentence into two shorter sentences?

You give some examples of where a comma, must or must not, be used:

I cannot see the difference between one sentence and another. For instance:

Could you please pass the salt?

Normally, a complete expression. But what about:

Could, you please, pass the salt?

or

Could! you! please! pass! the salt! If you don't, I will hit you!

I have been accused in the past of using capitals in an inappropriate manner. In this forum we do not have the luxury of italics or many other forms of expression. But how about:

COULD, you please pass THE SALT?

The important words are said in a loud voice.

COULD (shouting) you pass the SALT (shouting)?

I have tried playing about with different formats on antimoon but non-native speakers just find it confusing and then they become insulting in their ignorance.

So, how will you answer the question? From a grammar book, or 'off the top of your head', or 'from what you can remember from a grammar book or a long forgotten lesson?
Timothy   Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:56 pm GMT
Robin:

You are right that a comma can/should be used to add clarity to a long sentence. Place it where a pause in natural speech would occur, not where a breath woud occur.

About breaking up long sentences: Generally, using long complex sentences serves the writer's needs, while breaking it up into two sentences serves the reader's needs. Therefore, if in doubt, break it up.

I can't explain "why" it's incorrect to use commas in the way you asked about, but it is. A more knowledgeable person could explain why. Again the general rule is, if there's a pause in natural speech, then you can use a comma. I don't think you would ever SAY "Could [pause] you please[pause] pass the salt?"

As far as capitalization, if people get on your case about it, they might be just jerks. But again the general rule is: Use all caps when the word would be emphasized in natural speech. You might SAY, "Could you please pass the SALT?" But probably you would not really emphasize any of those other words in natural speech. So you wouldn't capitalize them in writing either.
Timothy   Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:47 am GMT
Well, you might say, "Could you PLEASE pass the salt!"