GAY ACCENT IN ENGLISH

MACHO   Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:28 am GMT
Why gays speak with such a gay accent? (a specific intonation,etc) can anyone define gay talk? and why it sounds so gay?
Danny   Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:13 pm GMT
Why dont you record your voice and put a link up on here..? then we can tell you how gay you sound Macho..
MACHO   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:40 am GMT
any intelligent response, sorry i dont mean to offend the gays
Philippine Japanese Busin   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:22 am GMT
Je recherche une association japonaise d'affaires, quelque chose qui est des affaires est bienvenue

http://www.cebuspring.com/japan.htm

Cebu Philippines business Japanese partnership ok

call 63917-4688107
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:11 pm GMT
Will Julian Clary do? A Londoner, and the son of a tough London police officer, would you believe, Julian now makes an amazingly good pantomime dame. Any fellow Antimooning Brits reading this - please explain to all our non-British friends out there in the Antimoon World just what a British pantomime really is and what it entails...nothing to do wil miming at all......the pantomime season is now in full swing, and our lovely Julian is camping it up on stage with them all as brilliantly as he ever did....bless him!

Here is Julian, along with Paul O'Grady, who comes from Liverpool and yes, that is a good, solid Scouse accent Paul is coming out with, if you will pardon the expression....a sort of male Cilla Black you might say, although he doesn't come out with "lorra, lorra laffs" all that often, according to his profile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc187n4Ks6E&feature=related
Belinda   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 pm GMT
As a massive generalisation, as it's certainly not always the case, gay men tend to speak with a more feminine, sing-songy intonation and lesbians with a more masculine, flatter intonation. Probably a result of hormones which possibly contribute to making people gay in the first place.
Bartholomew the Mighty   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:08 pm GMT
They speak that way because it's a fashion amongst elements of their communities.

A lot of criminals speak gangstaspeak because it is fashionable.
A lot of scientists speak nerdspeak because it is fashionable.
A lot of sailors speak dirty because it is fashionable.
A lot of noble gentlemen speak pompously because it is fashionable.

Not all of them, of course, but there is a trend that some feel the urge to follow.
Damian plays rugby too   Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:55 pm GMT
***gay men tend to speak with a more feminine, sing-songy intonation***

What's that? Feminine and sing-songy? Why no mention of a lisp then?

How about one of the greatest heroes in the world of Welsh Rugby, one of the toughest, most masculine of hard men ever to become a star player of this very physical, very gruelling game called rugby....Gareth Thomas, considered almost a saint in Wales for his sheer prowess and skill in the game.

Feminine and sing-songy? Well, what do you think when you listen to this particular gay man speak in his very clear South Wales accent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMB6i7RoykE
Invité d'honneur   Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:50 am GMT
Great link Damian.
Here's an interview of a French gay retired football player:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5mbcu_interview-dolivier-rouyer_news

The problem when you believe in a stereotype is that you will only notice confirmations, not infirmations, of said stereotype.

That said, nothing wrong with effeminate guys (straight, gay or bi).
Belinda   Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 pm GMT
>>What's that? Feminine and sing-songy? Why no mention of a lisp then? <<

I said as a generalisation, it doesn't apply to every one. But a lot of gay men do speak like that, like Julian Clary and Paul O'Grady as you yourself mention.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:36 pm GMT
Belinda -I did realise that you mentioned "a massive generalisation" and "it's certainly not always the case" and I am pleased that you said that, but it's a sad fact that many people like...yes, like... to portray ALL gay men as leaning towards effeminacy of manner and style, limp wristed and hip swivelling in their movements and speaking in high pitched falsetto, or at least assuming all the characteristics of Julian Clary, especially.

As you agree, that is a complete falsehood, and the featured hero from Wales, the super macho, mega masculine, one hundred percent hunk of male pulchritude Gareth Thomas is testimony to that.

Let not any foolhardy person mess around with our Taffy* superman Gareth or even hint that he may show signs of effeminacy or camp behaviour in any way at all or effects even the merest whisper of a Julian Clary type speaking voice then any such unwise individual could end up being lifted bodily by him, using just one of his anything but delicate hands, and then tossed from one end of the Cardiff Arms Stadium all the way to the other, right between the posts on the opposite side of the arena.

However, powerful and mighty a man he may well be, it is not in Gareth Thomas' nature to do anything such thing, whatever the provocation. He leaves all his aggression out there on the rugby pitch.

Anyway, I have heard Julian Clary speak in quite a "normal" way in some interviews, in which he was quite serious and relaxed - whatever normal means in many circmstances, but in this case not outwardly camp or seemingly effete....he really uses his rather exaggerated demeanour of effeminacy for effect when he is on stage or performing in any way. He has made it his own persona, and a seemingly "straight" Julian really would ruin his image in the eyes of many people in the UK, especially his many fans, and he is one of the most popular characters in british pantomime.

From my own experience I think a lot of those gay men who are also effeminate and camp and who speak in high pitched tones also and to "deliberately camp it up a wee bit" - probably as a means of identifying themselves. Of course, many gay men do no such thing as it would be the last thing they would want to portray themselves as in such a way. I really don't think I could do it even if it meant saving my own life if it should ever come to such a crazy situation.

You'd be surprised how many gay men are genuinely gobsmacked when informed that another man they have just met or have been acquainted with for some time is also gay.

There is no such thing as a gay ACCENT** anyway! I think the OP is confusing "accent" with "style of speech and overall mannerisms".

*Taffy - a British slang term for a person from Wales, a Welsh person. So named from the River Taf, on which the capital city of Cardiff is situated.

**There was at one time in the UK - up until about 40 or 50 years ago - a form of verbal communication...almost a language in effect - called Polari, which was used by gay men, as opposed to lesbians who had no need to "cover up their sexuality in any way, among themselves, with words and phrases which would be meaningless outside of their own "secret" community.

But when male homosexual activity was fully legalised in the UK in 1967 there was no longer any need for this weird "Polari" language and it seemed to have died a natural death, and the idea of it ever having been necessary in the first place sounds quite ridiculous to us in Britain today.

It isn't homosexuality which is a "crime" in the UK these days - it's homophobia that holds that dishonour.
Patroclus   Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:56 pm GMT
< From my own experience I think a lot of those gay men who are also effeminate and camp and who speak in high pitched tones also and to "deliberately camp it up a wee bit" - probably as a means of identifying themselves. ... I really don't think I could do it even if it meant saving my own life if it should ever come to such a crazy situation. >

You dislike "effeminate" and "camp" behaviour, then, Damian?
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:40 pm GMT
Don't be silly now, Patroclus - I've not even intimated that I dislike men who are "effeminate" and "camp" - most of the time they are quite funny (funny "ha ha" and not funny "peculiar") and their assumed "bitchiness" quite amusing in fairly small doses.

All I said was that I can never, ever act in that manner myself, even in a moment of silliness, and I couldn't bring myself to do so...I'm just not that sort of gay guy and very many more gay guys are like me...and even though I don't resemble Gareth Thomas in physical size and build I fall more into his camp, if you will excuse the use of that word in this context.

Along with Gareth I am not prone to things like queeny strops and such like......we leave all that sort of thing to those exhibitionists you see on all the Pink Pride cum Gay Pride parades through our city centres, but I admire them for doing it.
Edward Teach   Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:02 pm GMT
Didn't we have this conversation before?
Wintereis   Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:39 am GMT
Polari was a type of gay slang that was used largely in the 1960's.

Here is a sample with translation from the film "Velvet Goldmine":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4gxNPKOwE

As you can see, some of the words are still in use.

AC/DC a couple
ajax nearby (from adjacent?)
alamo hot for you/him
aunt nell listen, hear
aunt nells ears
aunt nelly fakes earrings
aunt nell danglers earrings
barney a fight
basket the bulge of male genitals through clothes
batts shoes
bibi bisexual
bitch effeminate or passive gay man
bijou small/little (means "jewel" in French)
blag pick up
blue code word for "homosexual"
bod body
bold daring
bona good

bona nochy - goodnight (from Italian - buona notte)

bonaroo wonderful, excellent
bungery pub
butch masculine; masculine lesbian
buvare a drink (from Italian - bere or old-fashioned Italian - bevere or Lingua Franca bevire)
cackle talk/gossip
camp effeminate (possibly from Italian campare "exaggerate, make stand out")
capello/capella hat (from Italian - cappello)
carsey toilet, also spelt khazi
carts/cartso penis (from Italian - cazzo)
cats trousers
charper to search (from Italian - chiappare - to catch)
charpering omi policeman
charver to shag/a shag (sexual intercourse) (from Italian - chiavare)
chicken young boy
clobber clothes
cod naff, vile
cove friend
crimper hairdresser
dally sweet, kind. Possibly an alternate pronunciation of dolly.
dilly boy a male prostitute
dinarly money (thought to be derived from "Dinari")
dish butt(ocks)
dolly pretty, nice, pleasant
dona woman (perhaps from Italian donna or Lingua Franca dona)
dorcas term of endearment, 'one who cares'. The Dorcas Society was a ladies' church association of the nineteenth century, which made clothes for the poor.
drag clothes, esp. women's clothes (prob from Romani - indraka - skirt)
doss bed
ecaf face (backslang)
eek face (abbreviation of ecaf)
ends hair
esong nose (backslang)
fantabulosa fabulous/wonderful
feele/freely/filly child/young
fruit queen
funt pound
gelt money (Yiddish)
handbag money
hoofer dancer
HP (homy polone) effeminate gay man
jarry food, also mangarie (from Italian mangiare or Lingua Franca mangiaria)
jubes breasts
kaffies trousers
khazi toilet, also spelt carsey
lacoddy body
lallies (lylies) legs
lallie tappers feet
latty/lattie room, house or flat
lills hands
lilly police (Lilly Law)
lyles legs (prob. from "Lisle stockings")
lucoddy body
luppers fingers (Yiddish - lapa - paw)
mangarie food, also jarry (from Italian mangiare or Lingua Franca mangiaria)
martinis hands
measures money
meese plain, ugly (from Yiddish "meeiskeit, in turn from Hebrew מָאוּס repulsive, loathsome, despicable, abominable)
meshigener nutty, crazy, mental (from Yiddish, in turn from Hebrew מְשֻׁגָּע crazy)
metzas money (Italian -mezzi "means, wherewithal")
mince walk (affectedly)
naff awful, dull, hetero
nanti not, no, none (Italian - niente)
national handbag dole, welfare, government financial assistance
nishta nothing, no (from Yiddish נישטא - "there isn't")
ogle look, admire
ogles eyes
oglefakes glasses
omi man (from Romance)
omi-palone effeminate man, or homosexual
onk nose (cf "conk")
orbs eyes
palare pipe telephone ("talk pipe")
palliass back
park, parker give
plate feet; to fellate
palone woman (Italian paglione - "straw mattress", [viz. old Cant "hay-bag" = woman])
palone-omi lesbian
pots teeth
proxy-ook autobiographical book that is especially revealing about people other than the main subject
remould sex change
riah/riha hair (backslang)
riah zhoosher hairdresser
scarper to run off (from Italian scappare, to escape or run away or from rhyming slang Scapa Flow, to go)
schlumph drink
schmutter clothes (maybe from Yiddish "schmatte" - rag)
scotch leg (scotch egg=leg)
screech mouth, speak
sharpy policeman (from - charpering omi)
sharpy polone policewoman
shush steal (from client)
shush bag hold-all
shyker/shyckle wig (mutation of the Yiddish sheitel)
slap makeup
so homosexual (e.g. "Is he 'so'?")
stimps legs
stimpcovers stockings, hosiery
strides trousers
strillers piano
switch wig
thews thighs
tober road
todd (Sloanne) alone
tootsie trade sex between two passive homosexuals (as in: 'I don't do tootsie trade')
trade sex, sex-partner, potential sex-partner
troll to walk about (esp. looking for trade)
vada/varder to see (from Italian - dialect vardare = guardare - look at)
vardered - vardering

vera (lynn) gin
vogue cigarette (from Lingua Franca - fogus - "fire, smoke")
vogueress female smoker
willets breasts
yews (from French "yeux") eyes
zhoosh style hair, tart up, mince
(Romani - "zhouzho" - clean, neat)
zhoosh our riah - style our hair

zhooshy showy