"You want to put that where?"

Sheila   Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:49 pm GMT
I see this question popping up on internet forums all the time but I don't understand what's supposed to be funny about it or what it even means. Could someone please explain?
atsamo   Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:10 pm GMT
Yes, it is grammatically flawed. I suppose it is a twisted rendition of the "Where do you want to put that in?" question.

'Where' is put in the place usually occupied by the preposition or adverb, and the operator 'do' subsequently omitted.
Guest II   Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:15 pm GMT
"You want to put that where?" isn't grammatically flawed, and it isn't a version of "Where do you want to put that in?".

To express surprise at a preceding statement, you can repeat it with an interrogative term in place of the significant noun phrase or adverb, e.g.

"He ate an entire raw turkey." "He ate what?"
"He knows the Emperor of Siam." "He knows who?"

That's what happens in your example. It's probably a sexual innuendo of some kind, where "where" refers to some suggested orifice and "that" is the object or organ to be inserted.
Wintereis   Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:58 pm GMT
It is basically a modification of "stick it where the sun don't (doesn't) shine" in the form of a question. As guest II stated, it is meant to indicate an orifice.
atsamo   Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:12 pm GMT
@ Guest II

"You want to put that where?" isn't grammatically flawed, and it isn't a version of "Where do you want to put that in?".

To express surprise at a preceding statement, you can repeat it with an interrogative term in place of the significant noun phrase or adverb, e.g.

"He ate an entire raw turkey." "He ate what?"
"He knows the Emperor of Siam." "He knows who?"

That's what happens in your example. It's probably a sexual innuendo of some kind, where "where" refers to some suggested orifice and "that" is the object or organ to be inserted."

Yes, you're right; I didn't take this cliche into consideration.