anglicisms vs. calques

blanc   Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:38 am GMT
There is a lot of hating on anglicisims, ie direct English words these days, but what about calques? How do you find them compared to word borrowings?

For example, in Spanish it's "el ratón de la computadora". Ratón is not an English word, but it still means mouse, inspired by English, ie, it's a calque.

Do you find this perfectly OK, or would you like it to be named somehow COMPLETELY differently?

Or, what if, instead of "una band di cover " it were "una banda di copertura", surely it would be better than cover, but would it be 100% ok?

Or, what if, instead of "coup de etat" it were "state blow"? Would that be better (supposing it weren't already so engrained), or would it be odd?
Qwaggmireland   Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:19 am GMT
Both Spain and France strike me as insecure nations. I would say Spanish style and French style language-nationalism has added to the backward image of France and Spain. Maybe a flash of English loan words here and there would help you two emotional old women to come to terms with your national selfworth issues. Thank you.
Boggs   Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:29 pm GMT
Both Spain and France strike me as insecure nations

No, you don't know they just want to get the second place as the most spoken language in the world. That's pride, nothing else.
george s   Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:04 pm GMT
"state blow" is better than "coup d'etat" , I wis
PARISIEN   Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:11 pm GMT
-- Unnecessary borrowings generally tend to impoverish a language,
-- But calques are generally an enrichment.

Just an example: "to fall in love" is in classic French "tomber amoureux", but the calque "tomber en amour", already widespread in Québec, is increasingly used in France. I find it intesresting, because it adds a new shade that wasn't available so far: "tomber amoureux" sounds sentimental, "tomber en amour" is more passionate.

Another example: for "it's not my cup of tea" French had only "ce n'est pas mon truc", which sounds a little bit vulgar. "Ce n'est pas ma tasse de thé" allows a more dignified tone.