Flap t in "seventy"

Uriel   Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:24 am GMT
It's not really sloppy. It's just how real people talk.
Timothy   Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 pm GMT
Come on, Uriel. "Real people" don't go around saying "niney" and "sevenny." That IS sloppy. ADMIT IT.

Everyone I know says "nine-dee" and "seven-dee." ADMIT IT.
Timothy   Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:29 am GMT
URIEL I am still waiting for your admission...!
Uriel   Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:25 pm GMT
You can keep waiting, I suppose.
Drew   Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:38 pm GMT
If you say 'niney,' you're going to get looked at funny. Period.

Even when people are rushing through something they say a hundred times, like "Call now, it's only $9.95," that D is still present.

And when Windows 95 was released, Bill Gates was still a nerd with no social skills. He's not a good example.
Timothy   Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:10 am GMT
Thank you, Drew, for adding a little intelligence to this thread. I thought I was alone. Uriel has definitely lost some respect from me, for not being able to admit he or she was obviously wrong.
Uriel   Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:05 am GMT
Somehow I find that I'm okay with not having your respect. You can imagine how much of mine you currently merit.
Timothy   Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:23 am GMT
LOL... Why? Because I proved you wrong? You could save more face by just admitting you were wrong, and then we'd be friends again.
feati   Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:59 pm GMT
>>Timothy Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:23 am GMT
>Why? Because I proved you wrong?

No. Because you're acting like a total douche. I think you're right but I don't feel the need to rub other people's noses in it. Why would I?
Errol Flynn   Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 pm GMT
I don't think you proved anything, Timothy. You've just been repeating that you're right, while she's been repeating that you're wrong. This doesn't really amount to anyone having brought about a "smoking gun" proof. This thread is not a mathematical problem in which you have to prove or disprove a given conjecture by means of axioms, theorems, etc.
Hahoo   Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:16 pm GMT
>>Uriel has definitely lost some respect from me<<
And exactly who do you think you are? And exactly what makes you think she actually cares?

PS Uriel, don't worry about what he says. Jealousy tends to evoke that kind of reaction.
I swear you're the best.
Uriel   Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:11 am GMT
Thanks, Hahoo. I'm afraid I see no reason to apologize for what amounts to a difference of opinion.
K.   Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am GMT
Another meaning of the word "flap" in play...
JeffinNYC   Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:30 pm GMT
I personally say niney all the time. If I was speaking carefully, I would say ninety. I would never say ninedy. If anybody has ever looked at me funny for saying niney, I didn't notice.

I would never say sevenny. Even if I was counting fast and slurring, it would still come out sedndy or sebmdy or even sendy, but never sevenny. If I heard somebody say it that way, I think I would notice, and I might wonder if they had a cold and had to breathe through their mouth.

My pronunciation:

20 and 90 have just an n sound.
30, 40, and 80 have a flap t.
50 and 60 have a t sound.
70 has a d sound.
Kelly   Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:31 am GMT
20 and 90 have just an n sound.
30, 40, and 80 have a flap t.
50 and 60 have a t sound.
70 has a d sound.

//These make English pronunciation very tricky.