European and American Cultural Differences

Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 pm GMT
***It's not at all uncommon to see American men married to Asian girls***

And it's not at all uncommon to see British men married to Asian girls.

Apparently a Thai bride, in particular, is quite a trophy, and when these same British men find themselves being quizzed by British women (such as on the regular BBC Radio 4 program "Woman's Hour") just why they opt for Asian females as either spouses or partners they either do their best to wriggle their way out of it by not giving a definitive answer and therefore running the risk of upsetting some kind of Britfem applecart, or else they come straight out with the truth as they see it.....they view these Asian females as a much better bet all round but rarely go into much detail. Make what you will out of that.

The responses and ripostes coming back from the "Woman's Hour" female presenters and their female interviewees make for interesting listening.

It's also interesting to hear Anne Robinson's reaction on the "Weakest Link" when one of her male contestants tells her that he found his spouse or partner or girlfriend in Thailand or some other Asian land.....she either mentions a British passport and a fully kept and maintained dutiful and obedient "domestic slave" ever willing to service every needs.
Chandak   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:34 pm GMT
[Apparently a Thai bride, in particular, is quite a trophy, and when these same British men find themselves being quizzed by British women ... just why they opt for Asian females as either spouses or partners they either do their best to wriggle their way out ]

Why do you make these unpleasant remarks about Asian women, Damian in Edinburgh?

Is it strange for a British man to want to marry a women from Asia?

You think they are inferior to women from other countries?
Felicity   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:45 pm GMT
The reason is simple. These women have not become infected by Western notions of equality. Why would a man want a Western bitchy domineering wife who makes you do all kinds of housework and cooking, when he could have a meek Asian wife to serve him like women are supposed to? I don't blame them at all!
For precisely this same reason you never see Asian men with white women.
Guest   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm GMT
You can add South American girls. Even girls from Eastern Europe also are not infected.

They are clearly better than girls from USA or Western Europe who are extremely feminist imho.
Chandak   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:07 am GMT
[It's also interesting to hear Anne Robinson's reaction on the "Weakest Link" when one of her male contestants tells her that he found his spouse or partner or girlfriend in Thailand or some other Asian land.....she either mentions a British passport and a fully kept and maintained dutiful and obedient "domestic slave" ever willing to service every needs. ]

Damian in Edinburgh is sneering at Asian women. He does not think it is possible for a British man to marry an Asian woman the same as he marries a woman from Australia or USA.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:32 am GMT
***Damian in Edinburgh is sneering at Asian women***

I am doing NO such thing...on the contrary. I feel much the same way about Asian women as do all the British and American men who are falling over themselves to marry them, or to have them as life partners, in preference to the women from the UK or the USA. And when did I mention Australia? Get a grip, Chandak!

If you saw some of those pictures from late night Britain I posted in this Forum a wee while back then you will undertstand what I'm getting at. There were more of the same in one of today's national papers as well - half dressed British girls lying semi conscious in the snow in their drunken stupor. NO way would you see an Asian girl in that situation.

Although it ould be impossible for me to marry an Asian woman or to take one as a partner in the full sense of the word, I really do like them from the interactions I have had with some of them.

I would echo Felicity's words here - many British men no longer feel that many British women are worth the all round risk any more.....no longer the real deal, as it were. Too much baggage and all that....too many complications. But as ever, I am merely an observer to all this, for which I am thankful. Thank you God!
the real doomsayer   Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:12 am GMT
<<How can we Westerners possible fight 24 million "spare" men?>>

Doesn't India have the same kind of "spare" men problem?

BTW -- I expect that our hour of Doom comes a decade or more after 2020, especially here in the Americas.
Jasper   Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:25 am GMT
GENTLEMEN:

What's the matter with you guys? You're looking at this from just the man's point of view.

What about the Asian woman's point of view? Say, why do you think she marries a American man in the first place?

Maybe she doesn't WANT to be a slave, her life devoted to cookin' and cleanin' for some man. Maybe she wants to be treated like a human being, with thoughts and feelings.

Good Lord! There are some mighty selfish men on this board.
Uriel   Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:12 am GMT
When I went to high school, most of my friends had Asian mothers and American fathers. There is nothing "meek" about Asian women. They may act the role in public, but within the home, they often wield a lot of power, especially over the finances. They definitely had minds of their own. And usually the American men had married them not because they wanted maid service and free cooking but because they were attracted to them as people and interested in the culture and language -- kind of like in any marriage.
Jasper   Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:57 pm GMT
Uriel, that's comforting to hear.

Judging by the remarks of some of the Antimooners, Felicity especially, it appeared that a whole lot of men still wanted a Stepford Wife, a most archaic notion that I thought humankind had outgrown to some extent...
Wintereis   Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:06 pm GMT
<<Judging by the remarks of some of the Antimooners, Felicity especially, it appeared that a whole lot of men still wanted a Stepford Wife, a most archaic notion that I thought humankind had outgrown to some extent...>>

Alas, when societies take on such a dialectic course, there tends to be some lagers.

dialectic:
1 a : logical
2 a : discussion and reasoning by dialogue as a method of intellectual investigation; specifically : the Socratic techniques of exposing false beliefs and eliciting truth b : the Platonic investigation of the eternal ideas
3 : the logic of fallacy
4 a : the Hegelian process of change in which a concept or its realization passes over into and is preserved and fulfilled by its opposite; also : the critical investigation of this process b (1) usually plural but singular or plural in construction : development through the stages of thesis, antithesis, and synthesis in accordance with the laws of dialectical materialism (2) : the investigation of this process (3) : the theoretical application of this process especially in the social sciences
5 usually plural but singular or plural in construction a : any systematic reasoning, exposition, or argument that juxtaposes opposed or contradictory ideas and usually seeks to resolve their conflict b : an intellectual exchange of ideas
6 : the dialectical tension or opposition between two interacting forces or elements
Felicity   Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:30 pm GMT
<<<<Judging by the remarks of some of the Antimooners, Felicity especially, it appeared that a whole lot of men still wanted a Stepford Wife, a most archaic notion that I thought humankind had outgrown to some extent...>>

Alas, when societies take on such a dialectic course, there tends to be some lagers. >>

Not really. I fully support women having all the rights they want. But, GIVEN THE CHOICE, who wouldn't choose a Stepford wife? It's up to the women to find someone willing to marry them because for now there's a whole army of meek Asian women lined up for the taking.
Wintereis   Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:44 pm GMT
<<It's up to the women to find someone willing to marry them because for now there's a whole army of meek Asian women lined up for the taking.>>

In my case it would be a stepford boyfriend, but no, I prefer someone I can connect with on an intellectual basis. Someone independently minded who adds to who I am as an individual while remaining an individual themselves.
Chandak   Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:55 pm GMT
<they either do their best to wriggle their way out of it >

It is Damian who is wriggling.

You say 'Apparently a Thai bride, in particular, is quite a trophy'.

What is that, if it is not sneering?

You say 'they view these Asian females as a much better bet all round but rarely go into much detail. Make what you will out of that'.

You say 'she either mentions a British passport and a fully kept and maintained dutiful and obedient "domestic slave" ever willing to service every needs.'

You think these men are ridiculous. But what is it that they do, to be ridiculous in your eye? They have Asian wives, that's all.
Felicity   Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am GMT
Let Damian sneer all he wants, it's a free world, as if I don't sneer every time I talk about homosexuals!