Extent of English language grip in Rwanda

(((-)))   Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:34 am GMT
French influences in Rwanda
Blog post by Perry Beeman • pbeeman@dmreg.com • October 7, 2009

The official line is that Rwanda will be pushing English as the go-to second language, replacing French, to position the country better in international business circles. As it is, Kinyarwanda is the prevailing language, and French is spoken almost everywher, too. People here hold a lot of disdain for the French for that country’s role in setting up the tensions that led to the 1994 genocide, when nearly 1 million Tutsis and moderate Hutus were beaten, shot or hacked to death.

Yet French influences are everywhere here. Many businesses have names that employ French. I tried to use the computer in the hotel lobby today and discovered the browser was in French and the keyboard, which contained French symbols, did not have the same alignment of letters as U.S. computers do. Tellingly, when Rwandans see a Muzungu, or white person, they almost instinctively begin speaking French, assuming their visitor will understand. My French begins and ends, almost, with “bon jour.”

I’ve been surprised at how big a barrier language has been here, because English is an official language in Rwanda and is taught in the schools. In Kigali, the capital and a city of some 800,000, English is fairly widely spoken. But in the villages, it’s best to know some French. Those who have tried to learn Kinyarwanda tell me it is a tonal language that is very tough to learn. Imagine how my Midwest accent would play if I went much farther than “Muraho,” which is “hello.”

Kids have this rap going where the conversation goes, “Hello, how are you? I am fine.” Over and over again, sometimes. They also are very good with “Give me money” — which would make President Paul Kagame, a preacher of self-reliance, cringe — and “Pass the bottle.” The latter is their request to re-use empty water bottles, not to take a swig of Rwanda’s very fine beer, Primus.

So it will be interesting to see if or when the Rwandan masses discard French as their backup language. Rwanda is now part of the East African Community, which also is pushing English in the name of progress, business and economic prosperity.

Rwanda is changing quickly in many ways, but some practices are tough to give up. To wit: The government changed the name of Ruhengeri to Musanze, and Butare became Huye, in a move meant to put some of the bitter genocide memories in the past. Almost everyone here uses the old city names, regardless.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2009/10/07/french-influences-in-rwanda/
Commentator   Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 am GMT
<< So it will be interesting to see if or when the Rwandan masses discard French as their backup language. Rwanda is now part of the East African Community, which also is pushing English in the name of progress, business and economic prosperity. >>

This is laughable. Paul Kagame did all he can by getting rid of the French language as a medium of instruction in favor of English and French culture by replacing petanque with cricket.

I bet, that the teachers will begin with "Good children" then "Our lesson for today is..." then suddenly would slip to French because they're not use with English.

I believe that his scheme won't go too far because there are Francophone Africans who learned English fluently made an assessment that it's still easier for them to use French as a tool for communication than English. According to them, whenever they talk to someone who speaks also speak English fluently or even as a native language, they always experience of having a "dead air" or after someone finished his statement or question. It takes seconds for them to answer a question because they're still analyzing the content of the question. There are also Anglophone Africans who became fluent in French also made that impression. Now, this would lead to that study that French is less ambiguous than English. Now, I know why French speakers appear as if they interrupt a conversation to an outsider it's because they are always excited to express their side since they already have got what the other is talking about even if he's not yet finished.

The strength of French does depends not only in beauty, number of speakers, geographical distribution, prestige, and influence of its speakers but also precise and clarity which other languages have little of these two.

No wonder, Vietnamese and Cambodians who are either Doctors, chemists, engineers, senior civil servants, lawyers and journalists all communicate in French and probably prefer this language than English because it is more effective using it in line with the nature of their work.
Commentator   Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:43 am GMT
<< So it will be interesting to see if or when the Rwandan masses discard French as their backup language. Rwanda is now part of the East African Community, which also is pushing English in the name of progress, business and economic prosperity. >>

This is laughable. Paul Kagame did all he can by getting rid of the French language as a medium of instruction in favor of English and French culture by replacing petanque with cricket.

I bet, that the teachers will begin with "Good children" then "Our lesson for today is..." then suddenly would slip to French because they're not used with English.

I believe that his scheme won't go too far because there are Francophone Africans who learned English fluently made an assessment that it's still easier for them to use French as a tool for communication than English. According to them, whenever they talk to someone who speaks also speak English fluently or even as a native language, they always experience of having a "dead air" or after someone finished his statement or question. It takes seconds for them to answer a question because they're still analyzing the content of the question. There are also Anglophone Africans who became fluent in French also made that impression. Now, this would lead to that study that French is less ambiguous than English. Now, I know why French speakers appear as if they interrupt a conversation to an outsider it's because they are always excited to express their side since they already have got what the other is talking about even if he's not yet finished.

The strength of French depends not only in beauty, number of speakers, geographical distribution, prestige, and influence of its speakers but also precise and clarity which other languages have little of these two.

No wonder, Vietnamese and Cambodians who are either Doctors, chemists, engineers, senior civil servants, lawyers and journalists all communicate in French and probably prefer this language than English because it is more effective using it in line with the nature of their work. Even if English is now preferred by most in these two former French colonies because of what they call "professional or career advancement".
Franco   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 am GMT
If French is so prestigious then why do you use English?
Frank   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am GMT
<< If French is so prestigious then why do you use English? >>

If Spanish is so important, then why do you use English here in this English language forum?
Franco   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:40 am GMT
I'm not saying Spanish is important. It is just more important than French.
Frank   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56 am GMT
More important than French.? So that's why Spanish has just 25 million worldwide foreign speakers unlike French that 1/5 of non-Francophone Europeans speak it (around 150 million) plus another 50 million from the rest of the world.
Franco   Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:01 pm GMT
More important than Spanish.? So that's why French has just 5 million worldwide foreign speakers unlike Spanish that 1/5 of non-Hispanophone Europeans speak it (around 200 million) plus another 300 million from the rest of the world.
Frank   Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 pm GMT
More important than French.? So that's why Spanish has just 25 million worldwide foreign speakers unlike French that 1/5 of non-Francophone Europeans speak it (around 150 million) plus another 50 million from the rest of the world.
Frank   Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:06 pm GMT
More important than French.? So that's why Spanish has just 100 thousand worldwide foreign speakers unlike French that 1/5 of non-Francophone Europeans speak it (around 150 million) plus another 1billion from the rest of the world.