Why do rappers always pronounce the ''l'' in ''walk'' and ''

SpaceFlight   Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:51 am GMT
Why do American rappers always seem to pronounce the ''l'' in ''walk'' and ''talk''. They always pronounce them /wAlk/ ''wahlk'' and /tAlk/ ''tahlk'' in the songs. The ''l'' in ''walk'' and ''talk'' is silent by most people. I've noticed many rap songs where they pronounced the ''l's'' in ''walk'' and ''talk''. Has anyone else noticed this?
SpaceFlight   Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:39 am GMT
Okay, here's a sample I've found of someone pronouncing the ''l'' in ''talk''.

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/linguistics/resources/socioling/talkmap/talk-nc.html

In that recording, it seems that ''talk'' is being pronounced /tAlk/. So it seems like there are some people who pronounce the word with an /l/ sound.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

To compare, here's a sample of the word being pronounced without the ''l'' sound (which is how I pronounce the word):

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/linguistics/resources/socioling/talkmap/talk-kan.html
SpaceFlight   Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:45 am GMT
It might not be rappers. But I've noticed that some people do some to pronounce the ''l's'' in ''walk'' and ''talk''.
SpaceFlight   Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:57 am GMT
Kirks response on another forum is:

Well that first one definitely has /l/! I've never heard such a pronunciation That second one sounds like a Northern Cities speaker, with that front /a/ for "talk" instead of /A/.
Candace   Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:17 am GMT
Many rappers are from the south (mainly from Atlanta). Where walk sounds like "wahlk" and talk sounds like "tahlk". I'm from Kentucky, and that is how I pronunce them, too.
Thom   Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:35 pm GMT
I'm from South Carolina, and I don't know that I can recall ever hearing walk or talk pronounced without the 'l' sound. I'm saying it out loud and it sounds wrong. How strange...
Taylor   Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:23 pm GMT
I have lived in the south for most of my life and pronounce the 'l' in 'walk', 'talk' and 'chalk' as well. Also, everyone in my family pronounces the 'wh' in words like 'whether,' 'where' and 'which' distiguishing them from 'weather,' 'wear' and 'witch.' Most everyone I know does too. Perhaps the reason that these pronunciations are not there is simply that most dictionaries, or at least the ones I've come across, have been compiled and edited by northern companies, who may be ignorant of the thousands that do pronounce 'l's' and 'wh's.' Besides, 'tock' is the second thing a clock says, and a 'wok' is something you cook with (or maybe throw at a wabbit).