plural you in the UK

Dude   Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:42 pm GMT
In the United States, the common accepted plural form is either "you guys" or "y'all". Other forms are not widespread enough to sound natural.

What about in the UK? What do Brits commonly say? I find it hard to believe they just use "you" when talking to a group of friends: "Hey! What are you doing?" (where "you" refers to more than one friend).
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:01 pm GMT
It's "yous" as in "What are yous doing?"
Plural form of "you   Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:48 pm GMT
Damian is incorrect. "Yous" appears in some regional dialects and in informal or humorous usage by some other speakers, but is by no means "the common accepted plural form".

"You guys" is fairly common, when talking to groups of friends; maybe also "you people" or "you all" (but seldom "y'all", except in parody).

Otherwise, it's just "you".
Leasnam   Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:22 pm GMT
<<In the United States, the common accepted plural form is either "you guys" or "y'all". Other forms are not widespread enough to sound natural.
>>

This statement is not totally correct either.
A truer statement would be:

"In the United States, the common accepted plural form is "you", but "you guys" or "y'all" are also used, depending on region."

Otherwise, You might end up misleading English learners into thinking that they have to use one of these alternative regional forms to be acceptable, which is certainly not the case.
Dude   Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 pm GMT
I meant: accepted = widespread enough to be recognized and sound natural (although "y'all" only seems to be accepted in the South).

I wonder what's the equivalent plural form that is widespread enough in the UK or in any large area in the UK.
Steak 'n' Chips   Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:32 pm GMT
In the UK plural "you" is "you". Disentangle the meaning from the context. Context might be "you people" or "you all" for instance.

"Yous" is a dialect variation.

No British people use "y'all".
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:45 pm GMT
***It's "yous" as in "What are yous doing?"
Plural form of "you Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:48 pm GMT
Damian is incorrect. "Yous" appears in some regional dialects and in informal or humorous usage by some other speakers, but is by no means "the common accepted plural form"***

Again, the "Damian" involved in all this is bogus....nothing whatsoever to do with me. The impostor is still at large it seems.
fraz   Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:39 pm GMT
"You's" is quite commonly heard in Scotland.
Emmanuel   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:05 pm GMT
The plural of 'you' is 'you'.
English   Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:19 pm GMT
I have always used "you lot" as in what are you lot doing. Just crossed referenced it with google and appears "you lot" is the prefered term in the UK (I think it means England, as "youse" is listed under Scottish and appears similar to what is written above).

I quite like y'all (I'm English anything to save on continents and vowels) but I have to force myself to say this as for me it sounds quite unnatural with my English accent.
Armada   Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 pm GMT
Definitely English needs a standarized plural form of you. So far we have several candidates:

yous

y'all

etc...
Leasnam   Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:11 pm GMT
'You' is the plural.

We need to find a new singular form for second person.

Here are the candidates:
Thou
thou
and
tha
blanc   Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 pm GMT
<<Definitely English needs a standarized plural form of you>>

There already is one:

You
You you you   Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:50 am GMT
How about:

you, you, you... and you?

as in

How are you, you, you, ... and you doing?

I'm not a native speaker, don't xxx me... :)
Armada   Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 am GMT
Youothers would be another option.