Reading for style or content?

Robin Michael   Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:05 pm GMT
When someone is looking at some writing in English. Do they look at it, with a view to marking down the grammar, or with a view to understanding what has been written?

I did not want to go to far off the topic of the English language, but I was impressed by the film, 'Slumdog Millionaire'. So I wanted to say a few words about it.

One topic route that I found interesting was the difference between Shetty, an Indian princess and Jade Goody, a slumdog Essex girl. They appeared together in Celebrity Big Brother.

In a previous series of Big Brother the British public had warmed to Jade Goody and made her a celebrity. However in Celebrity Big Brother she was out of her depth and she came across as being foul mouthed, common, and lacking in intelligence and education. A complete contrast to Shetty, whose family are linked to very affluent gangsters in Dubai. Jade was accused of racism. Whereas the conflict was more one of education and class. Jade was the underdog but she did not win the public's sympathy this time.

So there was an irony there, Jade had to rely on her native wit, while Shetty was in a different class - a very privileged class. A lot of the Channel Four You Tube videos are not available in the UK.

Celebrity Big Brother - Shilpa Shetty Bullying Compilation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sqAIPR50c